Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Suit Yourself

This new job of mine has a serious dress code: business suits with jackets and/or layers. I own three suits — one of which doesn't fit too well, and maybe one sweater set. I have lots of nice slacks, button down shirts, wool sweaters and camis, but other than no sleeveless tops (without jackets) or no bare legs (without hose or socks), I'm not sure what is okay and what is not.

Because I desperately fear walking into the office looking totally out of place, I have been shopping my heart out. Its like I am replacing my entire professional wardrobe all at once... and honestly, it's not something I can afford to do.

Within the last two weeks I have slowly depleted my bank account buying suits and tops. This is the craziest thing in the world, because the real Charissa is a t-shirt and jeans kind of a girl. Oh, and flips. Definitely flips.

I don't suppose there is a real point to this post, only that I am outfitting my closet with clothes that I currently can't afford to own. It's nice to work somewhere where they take appearance seriously, though... instead of stirrups and sweaters, for instance; but I have a feeling it won't be long before I ache for a light sweater, pair of slacks, and a cute sandal. Sniff.

4 Comments:

Blogger cherylann said...

maybe you should think like stacey and clinton and buy pieces that can be worn as both and can also mix and match... tlc's what not to wear = sage fashion advice for the professional woman like charissa.

October 11, 2006 2:18 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

you know, I've actually made career decisions based on dress code before. "Suits, eh? Thanks, but no thanks." but I'm in IT so it's ok to be frumpy.

October 11, 2006 11:24 AM  
Blogger Broadsheet said...

Get thee to a Prime Outlet store now! A drive up to the PA border is SOOO worth the money you'll save on some nice suits. Also, don't forget to check out the Talbot's outlet store on York Rd. I save a ton of money there. Lastly, if you want to look less corporate, but still dressy - buy some stuff from Chico's. I live in their jackets and jewelry.

October 11, 2006 11:58 AM  
Blogger NPR Junky said...

Oh darlin', I feel your pain. My office isn't super dressy, but our director can be a real nazi where footwear is concerned.

Ann Taylor and BR on sale, girlfriend. I'm with Broadsheet, outlets are the way to go.

October 11, 2006 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home