Thursday, August 02, 2007

More Than Meets The Eye

My friend, D, and I went to see Transformers tonight. I gotta tell you, when I first heard this movie was coming out, there was a lot of groaning and eye rolling on my part. After growing up with plastic transformers and watching the cartoons, I just couldn't fathom how anyone could possibly make this ridiculous idea into a feature film. I was actually quite stuck up about it.(I know, you are so surprised.)

But the problem here.... is that I LOVED it. My mouth was open and my jaw was dropped after five minutes. It was wickedly, awesomely cool. Okay, okay... some of the dialogue was juvenile ("You have to go. You're a soldier now, Sam!"), but that only made it more true to the original series. It would have been a harder sell to try and make it super-realistic and grown up.

The special effects were really cool, too... although D made a good comment that some of the action scenes were too fast to watch the weapons work. It was kind of like having the toys again, because you wanted to look closely at all of the pieces and parts. Fast action scenes don't really allow for a lot of that. Also, it occurred to me that the way the transformers move (they jump and turn and flip all over the place) is pretty close to how I remember playing. We didn't play with Transformers like people, where they'd walk around and fight... you know you always had them doing flips in the air and running machine guns at the same time! The movie was exactly like that.

So now I desperately want a "I Heart Optimus Prime" baby tee. No need to look because I already did, and it doesn't exist (yet). But if it did, it would look like this and cost about $24.

I guess I am actively proclaiming myself nerd girl once again by admitting all of this, but I think I'll buy this movie when it comes out on DVD. It was absolutely fun to watch and completely unexpected. I'm so glad we went, I really am.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cassie said...

you know you can go to cafepress.com and get your teel made!! You are too funny! I was a snob aout it to and sent Patrick to see it with a friend of his. I'll see it on HBO

August 02, 2007 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are telling me that there is ANOTHER D?

August 02, 2007 8:59 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

No way. You're *D* - he's just "D"

See the difference?

August 02, 2007 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home