Saturday, October 25, 2008

Head, Shoulder, Knees and Toes

My body has a problem. Apparently one of my shoulder muscles is being overworked. I'm not exactly sure which muscle it is (supraspinatus?), but it isn't supposed to "work" - only support - and it likes to join in the fun whenever I'm exercising or using my other shoulder or upper arm muscles. This causes tension in my shoulders and neck, which causes tension headaches, too.

I also have this "popping" going on in my left shoulder when I work with my weights. I told my chiropractor and he says my shoulder is "loose," which means that the rotator cuff muscles aren't very strong. He gave me one of those rubber rope thingies, and now I have an exercise to do a few times a week to help strengthen the muscles. Who knew I was such an athlete? :)

So I'm starting to see some changes in my arms. Nicole was over and showed me a number of other exercises to do, so I am excited to watch the muscles and the profile of my arms change. My biceps are becoming more defined, my triceps are starting to show some definition, minimal deltoid definition, and nice progress in what I call the "waitress muscle" (supinator longus?), because it was really defined back in the day when I carried trays. (It's that muscle on the underside of your forearm that flexes when you fold in your wrist and turn your hand away from your body.) I like these changes.

This morning? I need to find more ab exercises because my fav on Exercise TV expired. The chiropractor also gave me tips to help "disconnect" my shoulder muscles from working together (see first paragraph). If I can't manage to separate them, he has a whole therapy process to help them work independently... he just says it's work. Either way, I'm anxious to make this happen. I need to work at strengthening my muscles to provide more back and shoulder support to help avoid my headaches and spine issues. Plus, I'm 31 for goodness' sake. And I have friends that work out. All roads point to fitness. Fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Good for you!!!

October 25, 2008 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keeping up with the Jones...good girl! I am in pain today!! I am actually in pain when I walk..LOL..but, it is good pain - you know what I mean...
Keep up the good work...
talk to you soon.
~Annie

October 27, 2008 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home