Monday, January 04, 2010

Reader Poll: Afghanistan

It will be interesting to see how many people actually respond to this since my daily readers have hovered around 40 for the last two months... maybe the Susan Boyle fans are still here? (They did good things for the stats!) :)

Anyway... The Poll: If one wanted to know what's going on in Afghanistan - you know, the whole "Operating Enduring Freedom" thing - would you choose:

- "Politics" or "US & World" on MSNBC?
OR
- "World" or "Politics" on CNN?

Um, thanks, news folks for the easy access to either of the two wars we're fighting. It certainly doesn't feel like "politics" that we have thousands of troops in other countries fighting battles daily (but maybe it is), and yet "world" is an awfully generic category as well. I mean, should an update on Afghanistan really be next to "Dubai renames tallest building..." or "Seoul battles heaviest snow in 70 years"?

As per usual, most good, God-fearing Americans have forgotten about current events which don't affect them directly, and it seems that most people are so disinterested in Afghanistan and Iraq at this point that there's no need to make it easily accessible on news sites. Crazy stuff, friends... crazy stuff. And that's all I have on that subject.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

What makes it political is the politically (seemingly easy) choice that our government both Democrat and Republican have made to continually send back the same men and women over and over again. Unfortunately, what seems to be lacking in our politics are leaders that are willing to do what's needed instead they do what's politically expedient. War is hard to ignore if we are all asked to sacrifice. As for my news source, google news at home and CNN (for the most part) at OB's.

January 05, 2010 1:35 AM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Since I drive home late at night I have been listening to World News on BBC. I found it one night and now am hooked. If I am at home I will check out the CNN website. Since this is the first time in a year and a half I do not have a loved one over there I can finally listen to the reports without shaking and crying.

January 05, 2010 7:12 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

Reuters. They and the Associated Press feed most of the major news outlets anyway, why not read it before it gets spun according to someone else's editorial preferences?

January 05, 2010 8:55 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I totally agree with Missy-I much rather watching/listening to BBC news as I feel (at least in regards to US politics) I can get a more accurate picture of what is going on.

And as for Susan Boyle...I'm sorry to say, but I am NOT a fan. I feel like it is a great story. The "ugly duckling" actually turning out to be a swan...and that's not my take, they just figured that because she looked like she does she would be terrible. I just feel like it is a bit of a terrible lesson, let's be rude to her until we know she can make us a bunch of money (this is probably the Simon thing and yet another reason why I don't watch American Idol) and I also feel there are thousands of people who have trained, have gone to school who are just as good, better, amazing, who are working hard every single day and will never make it. I don't know, something about that situation bugs me. Yes she sounds good on her album (from what I have heard) but that's not her. That is a crazy overproduced version of her. Ok. Off my soap box. And sorry to offend. :)

January 05, 2010 9:11 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

Marie: agreed on Susan Boyle; she's obviously talented, but when the media cover her continuously for months and then say, "OMG, she sold 3 million records!" it's a bit hard to take.

I also like how they still believe she's going to take the money and buy a Rolls-Royce. I really hope she takes it and pays off everyone's debt in her village or something else that will make the media feel ashamed.

You know, if they had shame.

January 05, 2010 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home