Friday, November 17, 2006

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good
Today I received an a-okay letter from the MVA stating that I am still approved to drive in the state of Maryland. I've had two seizures in my lifetime, and even though neither occurred behind the wheel of a car, this was the second year in a row that I had to be evaluated and approved to keep driving. It's a pain in the butt, but I guess I don't blame them. It's a waiting game to see if I ever have another or not.

The Bad
My feet hurt, and I am sleepy. My company is a distributor, often to retail stores, and during the busy holiday season, employees donate time to work at the distribution center and help out. After a full day in the office today, a bunch of us headed over to the DC to work. I worked there from 5:30 to 9:00, which was a 13 hour day, including lunch. It wasn't mental work, but I was on my feet the entire time. After the week I've had, this definitely took any bit of energy that I had left. I'm glad to help - no question - I'm just tired, and tomorrow I'll likely be sore.

The Ugly
I didn't save the best for last. This is definitely the worst. I found out today that my uncle has Leukemia. He had bronchitis recently, and when they did a blood test they found an abnormally high level of white blood cells. His white blood cell count triggered a number of other tests, and today they came back with the result... some sort of Leukemia. He is 55.

My uncle will mark the third family member on that side of the family with Leukemia. My father's cousin died of a fast-moving Leukemia in his early twenties. My grandmother has the slow-moving kind, and now my uncle has it as well. I guess every family has their weakness. It's just depressing and also very scary. It's not a disease you can prevent... it just up and appears one day. It's so unfair.

What a week.

6 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Wow. Rough day... and week! I hope you are able to do some rejuvenating over the weekend. Sending good thoughts for your uncle.

November 18, 2006 12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can do it, charissa, our thoughts are with you and your family.

November 18, 2006 8:54 AM  
Blogger cherylann said...

Sounds like you've had a hard week. I hope you take it easy this weekend. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

November 18, 2006 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here if you need me. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

November 18, 2006 7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Call if you need to talk. Miss you!

November 20, 2006 2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Charissa - i'm so saddened to hear this new. Glad you are coming home for Thanksgiving... please give your family hugs from me and know I am thinking about you, my friend.

November 22, 2006 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home