Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Juror Number Three

That's me.

The morning started strangely. Just as I arrived at the courthouse, the fire alarm was sounding and the building was being evacuated. It was 28 degree weather. The plan? After about 10 minutes, the 800-some jurors were paraded through the city about 6 blocks to the safety and warmth of another government building. After another 20 minutes or so there, we marched back. We probably didn't get through with the security checks, registration, payments (we got $15 each) and the video until 11 AM. Crazy.

You know, I knew I would get called because my summons number was so low... there was just no way around it. We were watching 'Akeelah and the Bee" while we were waiting, though... so I am disappointed that I didn't get to finish the movie. Anyway, the process (although long) was pretty cool. Everything was straightforward and methodical. I answered all of their questions honestly, and before I knew it I was standing in the courtroom listening to the defense and prosecution both say that I was "acceptable." Followed by, "Please take a seat as juror number three."

I can't talk about the trial... at least not until it's done, but we did start this afternoon and it's supposed to last through Thursday. I spent my lunch break rescheduling work meetings, asking for work favors and shooting off emails. At least tomorrow I don't have to report until 10:30/11. That will give me time to work in the morning and get something useful accomplished.

Good gracious. Juror number three.

4 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Right now I'd be worried that the defendant's family is googling you and preparing to threaten your life if you don't throw the trial their way.

January 30, 2007 7:04 PM  
Blogger danielle said...

Last time I had jury duty I was also picked, but I don't remember my number. Have fun! Don't spend your $15 all in one place.

January 30, 2007 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They never pick me as a juror. All that waitin' around for nothin'.

January 30, 2007 7:28 PM  
Blogger Broadsheet said...

Last time I went, I ended up as the jury FOREMAN (or foreperson - whatever). It took three days and sucked beyond the telling of it.

Although, admittedly, the process was cool. Justice at work and all that.

January 30, 2007 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home