Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Not So Much

Well, I thought I had lymph node pain, but not so much. It appears (hold the jokes, please) that it's a breast issue. Oh what fun.

So I went to the doctor today and was preliminarily diagnosed with a fibrocystic breast condition. The pain started about a week ago with a dull ache in my armpit, but last night and today the pain became a lot worse - sometimes aching, burning or sharp pains. Let's just say that ibuprofen has been my friend. Today I didn't want to take any pain medication because I knew the doctor had to look me over, so this morning was particularly rough. After my appointment I got the go ahead to take a decent amount of ibuprofen daily, so for the next few days I'm likely to be loaded up on pain killers.

So what is this fibrocystic breast condition, you ask? It seems to be everything and nothing... but at least it's a place to start. The next step is an ultrasound on Friday, then I wait a few days to get those results. I really don't expect anything to come of the tests, it seems like the pain is the major symptom of the condition, but they want to run the tests anyway to rule out horrible things like lumps and cancer. After feeling this pain get worse over the last few days, I'm admittedly unnerved, but I suspect that it's a normal feeling for most people, isn't it?

5 Comments:

Blogger cherylann said...

Ouch! I hope you feel better. This is a totally random thing, but when my boobs hurt when I was pregnant they suggested I put cabbage leaves on them... it totally worked. I don't know if it will help you, but it's worth buying a head of cabbage for, no? If it doesn't work you can make stuffed cabbage or something. Hope you feel better- or just a little relieved- soon.

September 05, 2007 8:31 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I had a similar problem about two years ago. I had to have an ultrasound and everything came back okay. Taking ibruprofen was not an option because taking too much of it had increased my acid reflux. My doctor suggested giving up caffeine and artificial sweetners. It worked and I no longer have pain unless I am working too much and I feel the need to have coffee every morning. I'm thinking about you!

September 06, 2007 12:16 AM  
Blogger danielle said...

Oh no, I hope you're okay.

September 06, 2007 5:47 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Ugh. Regardless, it's not fun! I'll be thinking about you!

September 06, 2007 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, I am currently going through much the same thing. I would rather see a straight jacket than another doc's white coat these days! For some funny stories to take your mind off things and help to see the bright or UNbright side check out http://www.jennycurl.com. Take care of yourself!

September 09, 2007 1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home