Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Pet Peeve #3

I haven't posted anything in my pet peeve series in quite some time... which is funny because I can be easily irritated. So today as I revive my pet peeve series, I'd like to discuss merge lanes... or more appropriately, when people seem to think we are in them.

So picture this - I am driving down Lombard Street westbound, which is a three lane one way street into downtown. I, intelligently, am in the middle lane. Another driver is in the left lane. He is slightly in front of me, and we are both driving at approximately the same speed, when suddenly (or not), there is a parked car in his lane up ahead.

Now a good driver would react to his surroundings and either speed up and get in front of me (not so good), or slow down and get behind me (better). But no. Why is it that many, many drivers think that they are entitled to me moving out of their way?

NO! I'm in my own lane going my own speed! I'm sorry that you chose a lane that a car has been parked in... but my lane does not suddenly turn into a merge lane because you don't want to slow down! Do not honk at me. Do not flick me off. Do not scream (albeit silently) through my car windows that I have done something wrong. I have maintained a safe and reliable speed. I have not sped up or slammed my brakes and risked the lives of other folks on the road. I am right. You are wrong.

Now YIELD.

6 Comments:

Blogger jpb2525 said...

THANK YOU. I can't tell you how much I hate that stuff. I get really upset when you SEE the sign that says LANE ENDS 1 MILE AHEAD, but people continue to drive it til they are forced to move into the other lane. Of course, I follow traffic laws and merge back at the sign - then I am the one that has to SIT in traffic so that all of the F**ing jerks that ride past you in the merge lane can sneak into MY lane. GGGGRRRRRR. I could have some serious road rage...but I just pretend I don't see them when they are honking their horn trying to get me to let them in....SCREW YOU YOU LINE CUTTER!!! Thanks for letting me blow off steam.....!

September 26, 2007 12:07 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

That's not so bad: I was northbound on Carroll Road tonight -- one lane each direction. Put on my left-hand turn signal to make a left-hand turn, and as I slowed for the left-hand turn, the asshole behind me decided to swerve into the southbound lane to get past me. Did I mention I was turning left? He wound up slamming on his brakes, I gave him the finger, then finished my turn.

September 26, 2007 1:21 AM  
Blogger caver58 said...

I have to ask idiots like this if when they go into a McDonalds do they cut in front while folks are standing in line? No safe car to hide in so they won't do that. It's no wonder road rage is at an all time high.

September 26, 2007 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally know how you feel, Charissa. There's a two lane, one way road near where I live. There's also a lane that comes off the freeway and merges into the left lane. When people come off the freeway, they think they have the right of way and everyone else has to merge to them. I cannot tell you how often I see accidents there because someone just cuts in without merging.

To JPB, I actually saw a newscast here that did a study about people continuing in a lane and waiting to merge, vs moving over (like you) as soon as they know a lane is ending. Now, I take everything I see on TV with a grain of salt, but they said traffic actually flows better when people stay in the extra lane as long as possible and then move over.

They did that story because Minnesota is known for year round construction, and there's always lanes being taken away and being forced to merge into other lanes.

September 26, 2007 2:56 PM  
Blogger Carol Ott said...

When people did that to me, I always liked to give a happy little "toot" of the horn and a chipper wave.

My goodness they'd almost stroke out after the chipper wave.

September 26, 2007 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such drivers should be immediately beaten. This is one of the reasons that I try avoid Lombard at all costs. Something like this seems to happen every single time I find myself on Lombard.

October 02, 2007 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home