Monday, December 24, 2007

I Have Wanted To Do This Forever

I tried on my mom's prom dress. Yes, I did. My mom and dad went to her prom in 1971, and over the years I have seen pictures of her in this dress and eyed it hanging in the closet. My mom was a size 0 or 3 or something back in high school, and although I am small (read "short"), I've been hesitant to try on these dresses because of the sadness I'd feel if it didn't fit.






Well... it fits. Just. We got it on (sans black sash around the middle), but I couldn't take any deep breaths because it was so tight across my rib cage. I think I had it on for 5-10 minutes, and I was so happy to breathe when it was unzipped.

So my mom and I have discovered (officially) that we don't have even remotely the same body type. This dress (although so fun to try on) does nothing for me. I tried on her wedding dress, too... because it was there, and it's official that I am shorter, fatter, and less (let's say) innocent-looking than she was in that dress back in the day. In her wedding photos she is just gorgeous, but I looked... stupid. So stupid, in fact, that we didn't even bother to take picture of me in it. It was so unflattering.

What fun to be home.

6 Comments:

Blogger kwpershey said...

Great dress!

I wouldn't even BEGIN to fit into my Mama's dresses.

December 24, 2007 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit that the dress is a bit, shall we say, busy. It is a bit hard to focus on it. Such were the fashions of the 70s.

December 24, 2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger jpb2525 said...

ahhhh the 70's. Not to worry Rissa - you are too beautiful for that dress anyway!

December 24, 2007 10:43 PM  
Blogger cherylann said...

Just take it above the knee, shorten the sleeves, add the black sash back in... faboo!

That sounds like such fun! Glad you are enjoying yourself at home. Merry Christmas Girl!

December 25, 2007 1:14 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Merry Christmas dearest Charissa and Family. I love your parents prom picture.

December 25, 2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Looks like you're having a blast! Love you!

December 26, 2007 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home