Sunday, May 24, 2009

Publishing

Does anyone know anything about 'small time' publishing? I wrote a poem/children's book - one that I really believe in - and I'm contemplating getting it published. I'm open to considering a small run to see how it goes, but I'm just not sure what the process is, or the 'easiest way' to go about it. The poem will fail or succeed on its own merit; I'm fine with being small time. :)

Anyway, suggestions welcome. I'm looking for someone who knows about this process, because web sites on the subject are intimidating and complicated. Thanks in advance. (And thanks, mom, for the support.)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Jan Mader said...

This must be fate. I have no idea how I found your blog, because I was just out looking for people who blog about dogs and horses.

In any case, I'm a children's author. I have a writer's blog at
http://ignitetowrite.blogspot.com

and an animal blog here at
http://animaltalk4u.blogspot.com

I can answer any of your publishing questions...

May 24, 2009 1:02 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Do a little googling for "Print to Order" self-publishing. Apparently Lulu is really popular:

http://www.lulu.com/I'm told there are other good/popular ones, but don't have links on hand. Look around on Lulu, it probably has a lot of info.

May 24, 2009 2:32 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

let me know what you find out as we have one too-not done yet, but getting there...

May 24, 2009 2:51 PM  
Anonymous JJT said...

I can also echo Jon's sentiments on Lulu. One of the CNET editors behind "Buzz Out Loud," Tom Merritt, has two self-published books using Lulu. He has also mentioned them multiple times in other podcasts when discussing publishing.

Best of luck.

May 24, 2009 7:15 PM  
Blogger jwer said...

Adam Koford, the guy who draws the Laugh-Out-Loud Cats, did a Lulu publication for his first book, but he went with a mainstream publisher (Abrams) for the second. I have them both, and the POD one is basically a really nice pamphlet.

Here are their prices.

May 26, 2009 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home