Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Voice Lessons (for Grown Ups)

So... I had my first voice lesson today - the first in at least 15 years. It was good, I think. I like my teacher (or is she my instructor?) because she's very easy going, but I have a hard time relaxing to do all of the vocal exercises properly. Some problems: I look up, I look up and to the left, and I do the "chin up" thing before I sing... I guess a lot of chorale folks do it. I have decent transitions from chest voice to head voice, go nasal (not often but) at strange times, and I have to practice slurring because I have a hard time slurring correctly.

The creative Charissa inside me is excited, but the perfectionist Charissa is stressing. I can't help but feel a bit vulnerable - I'm the more real me when I'm singing than any other part of my life... and I don't even know her. What if I stink?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

You are awesome! And singing is an art form, it's not intended to be perfect.

June 09, 2009 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home