Monday, March 01, 2010

Toothpaste. Yeah, I Said It.

Okay... so I haven't blogged in awhile, but I'd like to reflect a moment on toothpaste. Yes, toothpaste. As a single woman, I don't buy a lot of toothpaste - one tube lasts a long time so it's not something I find myself in need of frequently. That said, this week I found myself at the grocery store shopping for a new tube of toothpaste... and I'm disturbed.

Yeah, I said it: I found the toothpaste section of the local grocery store disturbing. Standing there looking at over 50 different kinds of toothpaste, I realized that there is clearly no way to tell one tube apart from the next. Nearly half of the tubes say 'Crest' and the other half (or so) say 'Colgate,' but what is the difference? Which is the better brand? Is there a clear winner? Certainly in canned fruit there is a primary brand (Del Monte) and a secondary brand. The same goes for most other products: crackers, cheese, ice cream, paper towels, etc. But who wins in the Crest vs. Colgate toothpaste competition?

So I decided to take it to the next level. I was looking for an oral health brand. I have veneers so I have no need for whitening toothpaste, but OOPS: This country is OBSESSED with whitening. Nearly all tubes said something about whitening: Scope Whitening, Advanced Whitening, Whitening Plus, Baking Soda Whitening, Luminous Whitening, etc, etc, etc. What happened to the dental health and hygiene toothpaste? Doesn't anyone care about gum health anymore? Maintaining tooth enamel? Getting the benefit of clean, fresh breath?

After a lot of consideration, I settled for the Aquafresh (notice no Crest or Colgate) Extreme Clean toothpaste. Yes, it claims to whiten, but it features "micro-active foaming action and whitening" - with the word 'whitening' in smaller letters that the word 'clean.' It's for a "Deep Clean," which is what I think most people should be looking for in a toothpaste... but instead we're obsessed with the brightness of them.

It's a whitening-crazed world out there, folks. Which toothpaste do you use?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Cassie said...

I thought I was a Crest girl, but I bought Colgate the other day. I'm a sell out...

March 03, 2010 8:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Colgate Total Gel owns it all.

March 05, 2010 6:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

People still use toothpastes?

March 09, 2010 12:14 AM  
Blogger WJoy001 said...

Awesome post….Thanks for sharing this awesome article Keep posted.
ouvidoria prf telefone
inspetoria itaú telefone

October 10, 2022 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home