Sunday, July 23, 2006

Keeping the Gap in Check

One of my girlfriends posted today about her daughter's 19-month birthday, and since her daughter is teenie-weenie, mentioned that she is in the 3% height range for kids her age. So I got a bit curious and looked up my own height percentile. I am 3%, or at least somewhere less than 5%, so it's an estimate.

But even more disturbing is that my weight percentile is somewhere around 15%. If I use the BMI calculator for women, it says that I am in "normal" range, (I refuse to provide a BMI percentage here - It's just embarrassing) but I am concerned.

Shouldn't these calculations be closer together? I'm thinking I need to either grow taller or exercise to keep this gap in check... but both require so much dang motivation.

Here's the chart if you are interested.

Last night I spent some time around a tiny little 20-something, with 0% body fat. I'm not one to feel too uncomfortable with my body, but her skinny self made me self-conscious. Love handles... good or bad? I continue to have mixed thoughts on it.

You know, if the temperatures (and humidity) would stay below the 90s, I might just be motivated to jog again, but I'm just not a fan of the swollen fingers I get when I jog in the heat. I'm swimming against the tide here.... how frustrating.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I will go ahead and be the only one brave enough to comment on the weight issue. Just want to point out three problems from the above:

a) You are concerned that you are in the "normal" range.

b) "I'm thinking I need to...grow taller...but [that] require[s] so much dang motivation." (?!?)

c) You look great as-is, don't sweat it!

July 23, 2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

a) Normal seems heavy for someone in the bottom 3%.

b) That was a joke.

c) Shutup. :P

July 23, 2006 11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a) You are normal for your height...height is part of the BMI calculation. It's measured in the official unit "wph" or "weight per height." I might be making that up.

b) Thought it might have been. I laughed.

c) Hah! You're a dork. But you're not fat.

July 24, 2006 1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home