Friday, July 21, 2006

Flashback Fridays

Don't laugh. Really. For today's flashback, I am blending my 'Tuesdays About Town' with my 'Flashback Fridays,' and sharing a photo from my family's visit to Baltimore in the late 80s. This is a photo of my sister, Melanie, and I; and I am the shorter, younger girl, while Melanie is the taller chick in the polka-dots. I'm going to make a guess that I am 8 or 9 in this photo, so it would be 1985 or 1986.

As a side note... my returning readers can see why my eye surgeries have been so life changing. Look at the goggles on that kid! :)

ANYWAY - the rockin' thing about this photo is the Power Plant in the background. At the time of our visit to Baltimore, the Power Plant was a Six Flags theme park about a fictional inventor and his failed inventions.

You can read more about the Power Plant here:
Wikipedia
Everything2.com
Some Random Site I Found

The park didn't last long, but to give it some credit, it was one of the first attempts to rejuvenate the Inner Harbor. Most accounts of the park call it a complete failure and misjudgment of what was then Baltimore's young tourism industry, but I remember having a FABULOUS time. You can make fun of me up, down, and sideways, but I have distinctive memories of the Power Plant from my childhood, and I remember loving it completely.

It's relatively ironic that I'm living here over 20 years later, isn't it?

2 Comments:

Blogger johnny dollar said...

whee! what a great photo! i'll have to print it out and go compare the changes to the building since then...

July 21, 2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

i'm going to go with it is a small small world when you wear large glasses at 8...i can say that cause i did too...

July 21, 2006 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home