Saturday, July 08, 2006

Netflix and Coronas

I have dedicated this weekend to watching the movies that I have intended to watch for awhile now. I have three Netflix movies at home, and another borrowed from Jill and Rob. I am determined to get through them all this weekend (sounds lazy, doesn't it?)

Last night I watch Hilary and Jackie, one of those movies you've never heard of, but that Netflix recommends to you because you've liked other movies that are like it. "Enjoyed by members who enjoyed: Elizabeth, Shine, The Magdalene Sisters, The Piano and Iris." I really liked the first four, and Iris is currently 61st in my queue.

Movie Description from Netflix:
Emily Watson stars in this true story about Jacqueline du Pré, a famed cellist whose glamorous but turbulent life contrasts with the quiet existence of her sister, Hilary (Rachel Griffiths). The close but complicated relationship between the sisters strains to the breaking point as a result of infidelity, jealousy and, finally, illness. Based on Hilary's controversial memoir, A Genius in the Family.

I enjoyed it. I really did. Although there are a few moments that really disturbed me. The movie tells the sisters' story up to a point, and then continues in two parts: one based on Hilary's life and the other based on Jackie's life. It provides the viewer with a more in depth understanding of each sister's point of view, and it was really interesting.

I also just watched Road to Perdition, which I remember avoiding when it initially came out. I think the trailer depressed me or something, and at the time I figured that I just didn't need the stress.

Movie Description from Netflix:
Hit man Michael Sullivan (Tom Hanks), known in his 1930s Chicago world as The Angel of Death, is on the run after his wife (Jennifer Jason Leigh) and son are murdered. With his surviving son (Tyler Hoechlin) in tow, Michael sets out to exact brutal vengeance. Complicating matters in this crime actioner are a reporter (Jude Law), Al Capone's enforcer (Stanley Tucci) and other shady characters.

This movie was pretty good too. Not as much bloodshed as I thought it might have, so that helped. It's not that people didn't get shot, but it's old-school, so they have a classy way of showing it. The movie mostly revolved around the dynamic between the father's anger and the son's understanding of who the father actually was. I'm usually intrigued by the multiple aspects of human nature.

At the end of the day, I recommend them both... keeping in mind I have an artsy-fartsy side. I'll report back once I've made it through another movie... but first, time to walk Mr Dog.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were artsy!

July 08, 2006 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's official!!!!!!!!!!!! Heather, yes me, Heather has viewed your BLOG! it's a glorious day, we must enjoy this moment and all that it means... or you know, just stopping by to see you and say hi :0)
see you Monday

xoxoxo

July 08, 2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I didn't care for Road to Perdition. The other film sounds interesting, and as I'm 80% of the way Netflixing through Six Feet Under, I'd probably take a look at it just to see Rachel Griffiths with her native accent.

Here are two films for your queue -- The Matador and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

July 08, 2006 10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

netfilx is awesome. i'm making my way through seasons 1 & 2 of homocide now. definitely not as deep and "baltimorey" as the wire, but still good. focuses more on the characters rather than the city, etc...

jaqueline de pre was an amazing cellist. you should listen to some of her recordings.

July 08, 2006 10:57 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Brian --

If you haven't read David Simon's book -- the one the tv show is based on -- you should find the time. It's incredible.

July 08, 2006 11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

planning to get to the book sooner or later. i've got several in the queue before it though.

"the corner" is also really great.

July 09, 2006 12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home