Sunday, July 23, 2006

Netflix and Strange Food

I just watched Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I cried - just like every girl who had already seen it said I would. My first tears were when Tibby and Bailey were looking at the stars, then they came harder when Carmen called her dad, and even harder when Bailey died.

I was worried that it would be a lot like Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, which, at times, it was... because it's about a group of girls/women who find themselves. Some parts were a bit too touchy-feely for my taste, but I still rated it 4 out of 5 stars overall. I enjoyed it, and it was a good "pick me up" kind of movie.

Oh... and the hot Greek character's name is Kostas, which I think MUST be a sign that a hot Greek guy is in my future, right?

On another note... I am once again on a mission to eat everything out of my kitchen cabinets. I know that doesn't sound so good after my post this morning, but I don't plan on doing it all in one day. :)

The thing is, that every so often I look in my kitchen and realize that there is nothing to make, nothing to cook. It's not that there isn't food, but rather that the food I have is random. I may have rice, but no chicken, or noodles but no pasta sauce. I could always take the easy way out and go grocery shopping, but that wouldn't be as much fun (or strange) as the alternative.

So my mission begins: eating everything out of my kitchen before I am allowed to shop for more food. (This does not include shopping for milk, though - I can't live without milk.)

This morning for breakfast/lunch, I had breakfast sausage sauteed with sweet onions, fried zucchini, and an egg. Don't be alarmed by the egg's appearance, I cooked everything in my grill pan because my large skillet was dirty. Although a seemly odd mix of foods, I enjoyed it. The zucchini was the strangest at 11 AM, but it provided a good balance against the sausage.

My plan over the next week is to highlight my creations on the blog, so feel free to provide tips if I do something horrendous. I don't have the responsibility of cooking for anyone but myself yet, so that allows me to be more creative (er, destructive) than some of you out there.

Oh... and I jogged two miles today to get rid of some pent up anxiety, so please don't lecture me about eating sausage after complaining about my BMI numbers. Much appreciated. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

Sounds like a good idea...do you have flour? Flour and Milk and a bit of butter make a great white sauce...even I can't screw it up :)

July 23, 2006 5:27 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Hmm. Milk.

True story:

Were you here for that big snowstorm in March '03? I anticipated being snowed in for several days, so I made a last minute run to the grocery store -- I only had fifteen bucks, and my pantries were completely bare, but all I bought was four jugs of milk, because I love skim milk so much. (Plus, it is filling).

July 23, 2006 8:45 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Rachael Ray is a great help for pantry clean up. She is currently my evening time hero. I can make a whole meal in 45 minutes. She is a professional after all and I am sure with practice I can actually make the meal in 30 minutes.

July 25, 2006 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home