Wednesday, October 04, 2006

"I Remember When a Soda Was a Nickel."

Okay, not really. But today at happy hour, Jill, Rob and Mike made fun of me because I said that I remembered when gasoline was under a dollar. I believe someone (MIKE) said, "What are you? 45 years old?" No. No, I'm not.

So of course, being me, I set out to prove that I am right. To the left here is a chart showing average regular gasoline prices in the Midwest in 1999. Although this isn't Ohio-specific (I couldn't find state-specific data that went back that far), this chart clearly shows that the prices were well under a dollar per gallon.

I am 29 years old and yes, I remember when gasoline was under a dollar. And for the record, I also used to walk a mile to elementary school and back... ha!

9 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

I remember, very clearly the summer of 1998. Gas was so cheap that stations in my town were having 'gas wars'. The cheapest I found then: .79/gallon. I feel ya!

October 04, 2006 9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not much older than you and I do remember filling up my ten-gallon gas tank and it costing less than $10.00.

Oh, and remember the good ol' days of going to the movies and not having to take out a second mortgage just to get a popcorn and soda?

October 04, 2006 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In 96, I filled up my Honda Prelude for 95 cents per gallon. I remember that because I wrecked that same Honda the very next day.

October 04, 2006 10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I paid 85 cents in late 96/early 97.

October 05, 2006 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was growing up in Kansas I can remember a gas war where it was selling for $0.19 a gallon. Yes, there were looooong lines. (*geeze* Am I THAT old?)

October 05, 2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

I took lots of road trips in '98-'99 because of the gas prices. It was almost a demand that I drive! Of course I was a senior in college and had very very few classes so I took advantage of it. Man, those were the days...

and for the record, I'm also 29.

October 05, 2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

those were the days...
remember when milk was a nickle?
and every wednesday was pizza day :)

October 05, 2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger NPR Junky said...

C, did you also have to walk up hill both ways, in the snow? :-)

October 05, 2006 6:10 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Do you remember the Tempo? The horrid blue Tempo. It never cost more than $10.00 to fill that car.

October 05, 2006 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home