Monday, December 18, 2006

Weird Day, But Reasons To Be Thankful

I was so tired this morning after staying out at Russ and Jess' company party. It was a lot of fun, good friends, delicious steak, and good music. I'll post more about this when I get a few pictures from friends. I didn't take many.

Anyway, I was sleepy this morning and felt moderately cranky. The day started turning at lunch, when our entire team went to our holiday lunch at a Japanese steakhouse. The first two signs of good things to come came during the gift exchange. First, I bought the PERFECT gift for my person. He liked it so much, and I felt so darn thankful that I found it. Second, I got this gift (see right) from my person. How is it that these people know me so well already?

Next, one of our vendors brought in free PIE. It's your run-of-the-mill apple pie, but it was the third thankful thing to happen to me today, and it made me smile. (Did I ever mention that J$ likes pie?)

By the time I got home, I had a message from an awesome friend of mine, Lezlie, who I haven't talked to in a few months. This was my fourth thankful moment of the day. This girl is a kindred spirit to me, and I just ADORE her. She used to live in Baltimore while she was interning at Johns Hopkins, but she moved to San Francisco and then northern California once she got her doctorate in psychology. Technically, she's my only doctor friend - that's so cool.

Anyway, this girl and I have been through the ringer together. When we first met, me and my ex and she and her ex were inseparable. We were like four peas in a pod. Obviously the bfs didn't work out... but Lezlie and I leaned on each other quite a bit when everything was going to hell. It's no fun to love someone who insists on self-destruction, and Lezlie and I share those unfortunate and wasted memories.


Through all that, we are fast friends and I am blessed to have her in my life. She's in transit as I type from AZ to CA, but we have a lengthy conversation scheduled later this evening. (I dug up these photos from my visit to San Francisco in 2005.)


Once I changed into lounging clothes, I slipped on my new slippers. After I blogged about my long lost slippers last month, they quickly started deteriorating until I had to toss them. I bought these simple replacements last weekend, and I love them. It might seem insignificant, but I am very thankful for my new slippers.

Lastly (and sixth), how lucky am I to have a girlfriend with an ex-husband that cooks too much food for her family? WAY LUCKY. CJ had far too much yummy soup and sent some home with me yesterday after our facials. It's delicious.


I love ex-husbands. Especially when they're not mine.

9 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

You hate your ex-husband?

December 18, 2006 10:19 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

It's a play on words, Snay. No ex-husbands here, thank God. I got out soon enough to avoid that mistake. ;)

December 18, 2006 10:35 PM  
Blogger danielle said...

Do you watch The Office? If you do, you'll know why I smiled when I read that your team went to your holiday lunch at a Japanese steakhouse (this year's holiday episode) and had a gift exchange (last year's holiday episode.) It sounds like no one brought any Asian waitresses back to the office or stole other people's gifts, though, which could be another reason to be thankful.

December 18, 2006 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where'd you get those great looking slippers?

Inquiring minds want to know!

December 19, 2006 12:33 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Danielle - I saw part of it. No Asian waitresses were harmed during the eating of our holiday lunch. :)

Anon - They are $10 Bed, Bath, and Beyond slippers. Can you believe that? They are so comfy, too.

December 19, 2006 7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you a little bitter in the ex-husband/ex-boyfriend department today?

December 19, 2006 11:06 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Anon - I'm not bitter at all. I'm so much happier now than I've ever been.

And by the way... don't you love the allure of anonymity? And don't you wish it was real?

December 19, 2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger johnny dollar said...

charissa: pie!!!1 :D

danielle: nog-a-SAKE!!! ehheheh

December 21, 2006 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know where you can get an ex-husband who cooks for you, even though he's an ex. Now that's what I call handy!!

December 22, 2006 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home