Monday, February 12, 2007

I Heart Me Some Storm

Okay, so that wasn't (even close to) proper English. Leave me alone. I'm excited.

Within the next 48 hours, our little metro area is going to get hit with a doozy. Whether it's 10-20 inches as originally predicted, or 3-5 inches plus freezing rain and sleet, I don't know. (Although personally, I'd have to opt for the snow.) Either way, I am looking forward to watching it happen. Will it be dangerous on the roads? Yes. Is that okay with me? Sure - as long as people who can't drive in it stay off of the roads. I'm from Ohio. I know how to drive in this stuff.

I have always been in awe of the power of weather, even as a kid. I have clear memories when my dad would pull my sister and I through the windows in the dining room and out onto the screened in porch to watch thunderstorms. I remember the mist on my skin, and the crack of a thunderbolt in the sky that would send me jumping. In college, my roommate would yell at me because every time she came back to the room and turned on the TV, either CMT or the Weather Channel was on. I used to watch the Weather Channel for hours at a time. She used to get so frustrated with me. Sorry, Laura - wherever you are. :)

Although given my love for weather, I harbor a lot of guilt about weather events because I usually hope for the worst. I cannot tell you how horrible I will feel forever for wishing that Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. I did it. I admit it. But please understand that the minute it happened, I wished it all away. There's something in me that enjoys the awe that extreme weather causes... and it's hard to want to see Mother Nature at work while also hoping and praying that no one gets hurt. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to see New Orleans flood. It was unimaginable that everything little thing needed would fall into place to allow for such a thing to happen, which honestly made me more curious to see if it would. Those poor people.

In spirit of this weather event, I dug up some photos from my time in Baltimore over the last few years. The next few pictures are from Hurricane Isabel when she came up the Bay. It didn't rain in Baltimore, but the storm surge was pushed all the way up the Chesapeake, and it caused an unreal amount of flooding in the city.







Here are two from the blizzard in 2003. I'd lived in Baltimore about a month when this happened. And yes, I shoveled the car out all by myself.


Anyway... I'm just sitting here a-waiting for some ice and snow. In case you've been out of the loop completely, the rest of us are monitoring Foot's Forecast hourly for changes.

I hope everyone stays smart and safe, and hopefully we'll have an impressive show on our hands within a few days or so.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey C, how's it going? I think the weather God's hate me. At least the willscot inclement weather hotline sure as hell does.

February 13, 2007 7:21 AM  
Blogger NPR Junky said...

So, I'm sitting in the PHL airport waiting on a flight to Pittsburgh. I may love snow, too, but you know...I don't want to get stuck in Pittsburgh, C.

Please pray for me. I want to come home tonight ;-)

February 13, 2007 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awe. love the throw-back pics of the cavalier! stay safe & warm, C.

February 13, 2007 10:05 AM  
Blogger cherylann said...

I love weather too... especially hurricanes and thunder storms. I am terrified of tornadoes though, but that might just be from seeing Twister too many times. I'm glad that someone else enjoys snow and rain as much as I do... ice... not so much. Hope you get a ton!

February 13, 2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Stay safe in that weather. If you ever want to experience a hurricane my house is open to you. It must be the perfect place, I have had three eyes pass over my home. I am with cherylann on the tornadoes, as you may be aware. Have some hot chocolate for me!!!

February 13, 2007 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home