Thursday, June 07, 2007

I Don't Believe In Diets

Wow. Dearest friends... I don't think I said diet, because I have never dieted, ever. In order to relieve some concern, maybe some background is necessary.

I am 4'11". I weigh well within "average" for my height and age. I'm not fat, and I'm not skinny. I'd classify myself as curvy, and overall, I like my curves. I am a relatively healthy individual (minus the whole seizure business) with a moderate metabolism. My issue is that I love to snack. Within an hour or so of eating a meal I am hungry again, so I snack constantly.

Now rarely do I snack on sweets, because I'm a salt-lover... so I like chips, popcorn, goldfish crackers, slim jims, etc, etc, etc. Of course, I also love natural food with sodium, like celery and green peppers. I like red meat, potatoes, cheese, and nachos. I just like food in general.

So my goal here is not to starve myself. It is not to drop to an unhealthy weight or lifestyle. I am retraining my body and my mind to follow a new set of rules. I am eating a breakfast/protein bar and drinking a V8 for breakfast, which, despite my hatred for it, is super nutritious. This is a smarter option than the slim jim, crackers, or chips that I was eating before with a hot tea.

I am drinking more water than I ever have (I think I lived life in a constant state of dehydration before), and have temporarily eliminated soda and tea.

I am snacking only on foods with few calories (protein bars, veggies, waffles, etc.), and I am upping my exercise. But I hate running and jogging, so I am balancing my inconsistent physical activity with getting a better handle on my caloric intake.

I am not counting calories, but avoiding foods with crazy fat and more calories than should be in a small serving. I had shrimp and veggie stir fry on white rice for lunch today, and a chicken sandwich for dinner.

So I hope everyone feels better about this. Experts say that by eating well Monday through Friday you can retrain your body with good habits. That's what I am doing. Some days may seem more drastic than others, but I can't do this halfway. I'm not dieting. I am taking advantage of my strong will and stubbornness and doing what I should have done long ago. If I subtract 5 or 10 pounds from my current weight, I still fall comfortably into what the charts and graphs and calculations call "average." I just want to be more average... more average with a bit less love handle. :)

Thanks for the concern.

6 Comments:

Blogger jwer said...

So, in other words, you mean "diet" in the actual sense of the word, rather than the sense most people mean, which has the implied "drastic unsustainable change in" at the front... I have the same problem when talking about such things.

Also, have you ever tried the evil that is salted licorice? I think it's foul, but Scandinavians and Dutch people seem to enjoy it...

June 08, 2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Correct. As in, "I am improving my diet."

di·et - noun, -et·ed, -et·ing, adjective; a particular selection of food, esp. as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease

June 08, 2007 10:14 AM  
Blogger danielle said...

Good for you. That sounds very reasonable. I know the difference 5-10 lbs. makes on people our height. I have some issues of Health mag. (I read them, but do not follow well.) if you would like to borrow.

I went on the strep throat/ tonsilits/ scarlet fever then break up with boyfriend diet, but I wouldn't recommend that as a sustainable life change!! :)

June 08, 2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

It's that "esp." that will get you every time...

June 08, 2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

waltz inn is a great place. i might have to make it for a 3rd visit...goodtimes talking with you...not sure about those pineapple treats that were served,but you dont now till you try....seriuosly, whats up with Jesus?? sorry, never blogged before, do i have to comment about dieting??


pound knuckles

June 09, 2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger julie said...

I think that sounds great. It's realistic and healthy.

June 09, 2007 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home