Sunday, July 22, 2007

Artscape: What A Day (Updated!)

My feet hurt. Oh my. But what a day.

My girlfriend Katie picked me up early, and we headed to Artscape with her little sister and friends in tow. The kids were really sweet, and they got a kick out of the ferris wheel and kids' activities. After some walking around, Danielle showed up, and we checked out some of the vendors before realizing that Brian [Brian Sacawa] was scheduled to play a few blocks away. Katie had to leave us (sorry, Katie!), but she's so cool for doing what she does. I don't think I'd have the patience to be a 'big sister.'

After we said goodbye to Katie, we headed over to see Brian play. Danielle and I ran into JWER totally unexpectedly, and then Angie and Donna showed up. But before we could see Brian, we decided to get a bite to eat. At Dionysus (AKA Dionysus Restaurant & Lounge), we had HORRIBLE service. We waited fifty-five minutes for our food to be done, and (to be honest), I walked out before it arrived. I politely informed the bartender that I was leaving and that I didn't feel my friends should be responsible for the food I ordered (did I mention it took 55 minutes??). They all stayed to wait for the food, and I went to see Brian blow some tunes. As it turns out, after I left they messed up Danielle's order, too. I don't think we'll be going back there anytime soon, and I wouldn't recommend it to any of you either.

Back to Brian... Believe it or not, I've never seen him play live, which is weird since we've been friends for a year now, so it was a real treat to see him and theHybrid Groove Project. His stuff is really contemporary compared to what most people expect from a saxophone. I highly recommend it if you have a chance to see him play. I'll definitely take him up on his offer to see him at his next CD release party... I'm sorry I missed the last one.

So we had tons of fun (and a delicious gyro because I walked out on my food earlier). I bought this GORGEOUS handbag designed and sewn by Miyasol (see photo right), and a print by Robert Jones. (I bought the photo that shows up first when his web site loads - the one of the single tree.) We didn't leave until after 8 pm... and I came home and soaked my poor feet in the tub.

Here I am FINALLY eating... gyros are dee-lish-ous.

Here's a group snapshot of us gals, courtesy of JWER's photo skillz.

What a day. What a cool day. I'm so not looking forward to wearing heels tomorrow...


Blogger jwer said...

Apparently (or so the bartender told us later) the secret is to go when the cook is ACTUALLY THERE... they had someone up there trying to be the cook, but the real cook didn't get there until 5 or so...

July 23, 2007 8:06 AM  
Blogger danielle said...

My (no longer falafel) sandwich, once it did arrive, was actually VERY good and FREE at that point. If I hadn't been so hungry, I would have left in favor of seeing Brian play, which I hope to get to do at some point.

It was a very cool day. So, glad we all met up.

July 23, 2007 10:15 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

Anyone who can namecheck Conlon Nancarrow is OK by me...

July 24, 2007 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home