Monday, September 10, 2007

Gotta Love the Baltimore City Police

No... really.

So this weekend I decided to take on the pile of junk mail that has been collecting in my apartment. I have this terrible habit of bringing in my mail, pulling out the important stuff, and dumping the rest in a pile on the hall table. Yeah, I act like I'm twenty sometimes, I know. So anyway, I was sifting through the mail, taking out old bills that need to be filed and ripping up the junk mail and tossing it in the garbage, when I came across an envelope from the Maryland MVA.

Hmmm.... curious.

So I open it up, and what do you know? My registration expired on 7/31/07. Hahahaha! Oh my. After a few brief moments of panic (that included running to register online), I actually became mildly amused. My tail light has been out for the better part of a month, and I've put off getting it fixed until my next oil change. For this reason, I've been extremely conscious of every time a police car has pulled behind me. I thought I had been pretty lucky so far - not one police officer has pulled me over. Incredible! But how CRAZY is it that I had a tail light out AND expired tags and STILL no one noticed?!

That's hilarious! So, so hilarious.

So I am partially relieved for myself, because I don't have a repair order or a ticket to deal with, but yes.... yes, I am happy for this great city and our great police department. This is a police department who is too busy with shootings and stabbings and drugs to bother with me or my little 'ole car. I love the Baltimore City police department. I do. And I will especially love them if they happen to read this and don't come after me with a ticket. :)

It was an honest mistake, really, it was.

11 Comments:

Blogger jpb2525 said...

Wow. Two years in a row I got busted for expired tags. In Illinois, they go through parking lots to find expired tags. I still forget that tags expire the month you bought your car - not your birthday month (like in Ohio). Anyway, this past year, Feb 1, I was at work, and low and behold I got a ticket for expired tags. I would hate to say I wish there were more the police could be doing here (in order to save me money), but I would be lying if I didn't!

September 10, 2007 10:34 PM  
Blogger danielle said...

you're lucky. the state police will usually get you for that. i knew someone who did get a fine for that and i remember it being a lot, so i renewed my tags an entire month in advance. City police seem to leave all car-related stuff to parking enforcement. you can go a month with expired tags, but don't dare to let the money in your meter run out!

September 11, 2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Careful, Julie might come out from Oregon just to bust ya'.

September 11, 2007 10:26 AM  
Blogger CindyWags said...

Ugh - I got pulled over for expired tags last month. No fine, though... just a warning. And I was actually ticked that the cops were worrying about MY expired tags when there are MUCH more important things in the city to take care of. Guess it was a (rare) slow day in B-more.

September 11, 2007 12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, my tags are up to date, so no worries there. But you reminded me of another problem -- I need to sort through my "mail pile" too! I do the same thing, pull out the important stuff, and toss the rest into a pile! (And --I hate to admit this -- it's been a loooong time since I was 20!)

September 11, 2007 3:14 PM  
Blogger John said...

I got a warning for expired tags a few years ago after moving back from Cali. I'm not going to say what originally roused the cop's interest in me, except to say that he was mistaken and it was nothing. Phew!

September 12, 2007 1:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was pulled over once in Baltimore County for having valid temporary tags on my car. The cop says "Where are you from?"

Me: "We just moved here from DC."

Cop: "We're having a problem with a car theft ring using phony DC temporary tags they make using a scanner. What do you do for a living?"

Me: (oh god oh god oh god) "Um. I'm a...graphic...artist?"

Cop: "You have a computer...scanner...?"

That sucker followed me the whole way home to make sure I didn't have a stash of phony tags in my dining room. I was never so freaked out in my life.

September 12, 2007 4:43 PM  
Blogger jwer said...

You're not planning to pay someone to replace that bulb for you, are you? Please tell me you're not...

September 12, 2007 5:57 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Why not? It's easier than putting forth the effort to go and try to buy one. The effort + the brain power + the gas used to drive the store = too much to do it myself. I can pay someone just a couple of bucks to do all the thinking. :)

September 12, 2007 6:04 PM  
Blogger jwer said...

If it's a couple of bucks, sure. But the bulb usually costs about $1.50, and replacing them usually takes about 5 minutes. I guess I'd rather do it myself than pay someone $20 to do it.

Oil and brake changes, I would pay for, except that I can do them at my parents' house 12 miles away. If I had to do them in my street, forget it.

September 13, 2007 2:11 PM  
Blogger jwer said...

An informal survey of 4 of my female coworkers resulted in two "I'd change it, duh"s and 2 "I'd totally pay someone to do that" with one of them saying cheerfully, "I paid someone to replace my windshield wipers!"

So I guess I withdraw my indignation. If I lived closer to you, though, I would totally do it for you.

September 13, 2007 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home