Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A Date with the Dentist

Hmmm. I had an appointment for a teeth cleaning today. I love getting my teeth cleaned, really I do. No complaints - I go and leave happily. Then there's today.

Now don't get my wrong, the teeth are sparkly and hardly any tartar! The problem lies with an ache I've been having since the Spring. At the time, the dentist took x-rays and did an exam, but nada. Nothing. No obvious reason why I was having pain. Fast forward many months later and the pain is still here. There's still nothing of significance to see, so the outcome is.... a crown.

Apparently the only reason for this type of situation is a hairline fracture... a break so small that it can't be seen. The only way to avoid significant damage down the road is to replace the top of the tooth with a crown, which essentially means making my molar a nubbin and capping it. *sigh*

I feel so old.

On the bright side, a coworker of mine who is about my age just got one. She says it's not all that uncommon. And apparently my grandma had something similar. I guess I'll just live with it. No one will be able to tell except me (although you will all know, right?).

So here's my reader poll:
1. Do you have a crown?
2. If yes, how old are you? (You can always post anonymously. Ha.)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No crowns, but I've had more dental work done than most.

October 09, 2007 8:47 PM  
Blogger jpb2525 said...

No...no crowns here......but I gotta tell you - you are bizzare?! You like the dentist???? ICK, not me at all.....even when its just a cleaning - I HATE IT....it hurts....I even have them numb my gums topically...still hurts. Hate it.

October 09, 2007 9:22 PM  
Blogger jwer said...

No crowns, although I think my mom got her first one in her mid to late 30s. I actually have ridiculously good teeth; one cavity, ever, that was so small they had to drill it out so they could fill it.

And while I wouldn't say I "love" the dentist, I definitely don't mind it. Although I do regret getting the local anesthetic when I got my wisdom teeth out.

October 09, 2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

I've got two crowns, which came after two root canals. The first one was from a hairline fracture that developed an abscess. The pain from an abscess is as bad as they say, so go ahead and get the crown. Bonus points if you get a gold one, or one with diamonds in it or something. I hear those garner massive "street cred" with the cool kids.

October 09, 2007 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a bunch, but then I'm old lol

Love,
Dad

October 09, 2007 11:13 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Now I feel old... didn't before reading this. I have a two crowns. Just be glad you don't have to have a root canal. I have four veins in each of my teeth (a rarity, I was told by the dentist) and it hurt like a b$%@h.

October 10, 2007 12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Rissa, Kimberly is on vacation for two weeks therefore not reachable.
On consideration you probably should get it. It will protect the tooth you have. Dad asks if you need to have root cancel to stop the pain.
You could get a second opinion though if you are not sure.

But really, you said you trusted this dentist, what else do you have?

You could get a second opinion though if you are not sure.

October 10, 2007 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two crowns. The first one I got when I was only 17 because a tooth broke. The second one I got a few years ago when I was 25--that one was after a root canal. And I will eventually need another one over a THIRD tooth that also had a root canal in it.

I brush my teeth and floss three times a day, but am still very susceptible to cavities. It sucks.

October 10, 2007 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home