Sunday, November 04, 2007

Reviews & Opinons: Part I

So I finished Until I find You, a novel by John Irving yesterday, and it occurred to me that I haven't reviewed much of anything for awhile so let me get caught up.

Until I find You was insanely good, but of course, that is coming from someone who loves John Irving's writing. It was rich in details and visualizations, and had great character development not only for Jack Burns, but also for the cursory characters. As usual, there are significant sexual overtones in Irving's work, and in this book they are more uncomfortable and less socially acceptable than in his other work. If anything outside of the norm makes you uncomfortable, then you should skip this one. Irving is amazing, but he could be called overly-imaginative when it comes to writing about sensitive subjects. I also had some issues with the tempo of the story... it was a slow start for me and a quick finish (too quick)... but the core of the story was perfect. This was a great book.

A week or two ago, I watched Notes on a Scandal starring Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench. (I've loved Cate Blanchett since Elizabeth, I admit it.) I forgot to read the Netflix DVD sleeve before I popped this movie in, and frankly it had been too long since I added it to my queue for me to remember the storyline. That said, it caught me totally off guard that this was about a teacher and her student - well, it was on the surface, wasn't it? The secondary storyline was all Judi Dench, and beside her completely creeping me out - she was awesome. The whole movie is great, and as a bonus it stars Bill Nighy who I am completely entertained by. This was a four star movie for me - fabulous acting.

Next up is The Break-Up, starring Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. First, if Vince Vaughn wasn't so bloody tall, I think he might be my type - okay, minus the fact that he's a rich, famous actor, because I've never dated rich, famous actors, so how can that profession be my type, right? ANYWAY, cute movie, but sort of uncomfortable to watch because God they were just horrible to each other. I'm lucky that I've never had a break-up quite like that. All-in-all it was a good movie, but just terribly sad on occasion. Don't watch this if you're not in a 'good place.' Yeek - I can't imagine.

I'm seeing American Gangster this afternoon... so more later.

1 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

I love your comments on The Break-Up, because the ex and I did watch that together, and boy did it hit close to home. Wedding Crashers is much more upbeat. ps - I HEART Vince Vaughn, especially b/c he's so "bloody tall."

November 04, 2007 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home