Monday, March 10, 2008

I think I bruised my adductor transversus pollicis

I think.

It's whatever that muscle is between my thumb and index finger - closer to the index finger than the thumb. And it hurts. I noticed it the first time I painted at CJs', and then I noticed it again after working at the DC. The scanner-thingy we use to scan boxes and products has a handle that rests on that muscle, so it becomes more irritated when I use the scanner. I looked down at it today and noticed a big blue vein bulging on top of my lower thumb knuckle. I'm not a nurse, but I think I bruised something.

Oh well. I can still eat, write, type, etc - it just hurts when something rests on it. Should I ice it down or heat pack it? I'm really hoping that Maggie still reads my blog, because she is my resident medical professional (even though I've never actually met her).

Maggie? Are you out there? Anyone?

6 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Ice if its irritated and swollen, heat if it's knotted up and crampy... when in doubt, alternate!

Thats my (non)expert opinion!

March 11, 2008 5:53 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

Beer is the answer.

March 11, 2008 8:34 AM  
Blogger acw said...

Beer is for sissies. Use percocet.

March 11, 2008 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had this issue before, and the dr. had me wrap it with an ace bandage and Ice it...Something you may want to try.
Feel better!
~Annie

March 11, 2008 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Percocet makes me itch all over! I do agree that ice is the best option.

March 11, 2008 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I got mentioned in a post! I feel honored. What specifically makes it hurt? I mean, what position is your hand in when it hurts most? Are you grabbing something, making a pinching motion, etc. And does it hurt more when you bring your thumb away from your hand (abducting--like opening your palm), or does it hurt more when you bring your thumb close (adducting) to your hand? And does it hurt more on the back of your hand or on your palm?

Here's my "diagnosis:" If it hurts in the fleshy area that you can squeeze between your thumb and index finger, I'm thinking it would be the adductor pollicis.

But you mentioned that it also hurts on the knuckle of your thumb, right? That makes me think of the Abductor Pollicis Brevis.

There is a deep branch of the ulnar nerve that runs through your hand in that area. It could simply be that you pinched that while working or painting or something.

My guess is a pinched nerve. It will go away on its own eventually, so just do whatever you can to ease the pain. Ice it, heat it, whatever feels better to you. (Ice is usually better though, especially if it's still close to the time when you first noticed the pain.)

I hope it feels better soon!

March 12, 2008 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home