Sunday, June 08, 2008

An Unusual Day

So for those who did not attend - the PINK! event was a success! I don't know what the final tally is yet, but Katie did a great job producing it, and the team really came together and pulled it off well. Thanks to my friends who came out - specifically Angie, Kelli and CJ - it was great spending time with you and I know that the team appreciates your support.

So one of the silent auction items at PINK! was a set of tickets to the Timonium Dinner Theatre. Angie and I decided to co-bid on them since we'd never been there before, and goodness knows, we all need a little musical theatre in our lives, don't we? Well, we won the auction, and decided to use our tickets today and catch the final show of Grease! It was very last minute, but we were very excited. :)

Unfortunately... we were really let down.

It's hard for me to say here, but that little theatre needs love. The interior is boring and awkward, and the stage/set was really quite sad. (For those who knew me in high school, think the Oliver! set, but worse.) No part of the set was interesting, complete, or attractive. It was just bad. The actors actually had some decent vocal talent - a few in particular including Roger, Marty and Rizzo - but most of the acting was quite poor. It was actually very hard for me to wait (im)patiently for the show to be over. When it was, I told Angie to stop dilly-dallying (yes, I really said that), and we hit the road. I couldn't take it. I just can't believe they charge people for what we saw. Our high school plays/musicals/drama classes were better than that.

On the upside, we really liked the food. We stuffed ourselves on lots of yummy roast, and ended the meal with an ice cream sundae; and although that made us feel a lot better about the money we spent to get the tickets, it just couldn't make up for the show itself. I do want to say that I think that actors can be affected by low budgets and a lack of proper support - I just wish the cast could have had a better location, staff and production quality for all of the hard work they likely put in. I just can't see myself ever going back.

On the way home, Angi and I spotted an erratic driver on 695 who was weaving, waving his hands all around, and just being dangerous overall. I called 911 (it was really that bad), and we followed him to a neighborhood in White Marsh where the police showed up to talk to him. Of course, we left before the cops rang the doorbell, but we really thought that calling law enforcement on this guy was the best thing to do. It was really frightening how crazy he was driving, and it was even more frightening when we saw him take two young girls out of the car after he parked in front of his house. I hope he got a good talking to (or worse). It was completely irresponsible.

And with that, I'm off to sleep. This day has been an unusual one, and I'm anxious for some normalcy quickly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Thanks again for all of your help with EDTP! It was a blast... but I'm sorry to hear that your dinner theater prize was less than wonderful. At least you didn't have to pay full price for the tickets. I guess we'll consider leaving that one off the list for future events.

June 09, 2008 12:08 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Bad "professional" (meaning the type that charges the audience and pays its actors) makes me sad. Chances are they pay VERY little and pocket most of the money. I will say that the stage version of Grease has a horrible book, so it's difficult to pull off anyway. And my final comment on the subject is, dinner theatre is always remarkably better after a few drinks!

June 09, 2008 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home