Saturday, May 31, 2008

Glassblowing Workshop: Final Goodies

So it only took two weeks, but I finally brought home my projects from the second day of the glassblowing workshop.

The first one is a little practice glass that I made when I first learned glass blowing technique. As you can see it's a bit wobbly-looking, but glassblowing is hard! I included a book of matches in the photo for size... it's about the size of a shot glass. So if anyone adores me enough to want to have a handmade, wobbly shot glass to drink from so that you can think of me fondly... let me know.

Next is the piece de resistance - a huge drinking glass. This is my pride and joy. The shape isn't perfect, and it's a little thicker than an average drinking glass. I so desperately wanted to make a glass in this class and this was only my second attempt at blowing glass so I am actually really proud. Neither glass is dishwasher safe, though, so I will get to use (and handwash) with love.

We had just a little time left at the end of the second day, but not enough to blow another glass or vase, so I made another paperweight with a cooler technique that the one I made on the first day. This one required twisting the glass after you've colored it, and then stabbing the center with a tool to make and indent and bubble. It's very pretty.

And as a bonus... the girl at the gallery found Jess' and my Christmas ornaments from the 20 minute workshop we went to in December. If you remember, Jess had Bella in December, so we completely forgot about picking up our ornaments, but the instructor went on a hunt for them last week and they were still around. Yay!

So my plan is to take another class in the fall. The instructor said that there's a group planning on evening classes, and once that is scheduled, she'll let me know. I'm not sure I can pull off evenings, but I'm willing to consider it. This glass blowing is just entirely too cool to never do again.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way lovely -

May 31, 2008 11:26 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

So cool. They turned out beautifully!!!

May 31, 2008 12:30 PM  
Blogger Double Dogged said...

Great job! I like the mottled colors. Glassblowing takes a long time to master and you did well in such a short time.

June 01, 2008 6:20 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

they are absolutely beautiful!

June 01, 2008 9:16 AM  
Blogger Rony said...

What a great information you shared with us, I am inspired by the method for the stage. It kept joined me regularly. Keep doing awesome. Thanks for sharing this blog article.
talktalkwebmail
mysun webmail

October 03, 2022 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home