Saturday, September 20, 2008

Lately

Well... I attempted to hold off on this post until I know more, but I'm way too honest to post random things and not just come out with it. Not to say that I don't believe 100% what I said about Palin, but there's been more going on this week.

So the short story is that it's obvious that I haven't been taking care of myself. I've been working like crazy, not sleeping, eating anything and not taking time for me. When I'm off I'm lazy - thinking that laziness is relaxation - and it's not. So last Saturday I went out (and had fun, but not too much fun), which resulted in being violently ill on Sunday. It was pretty bad. I haven't felt that sick in a long time. I felt better by Sunday night, but then not so good on Monday, so I called a new doctor (hate my GP) and got an appointment for Wednesday.

On Wednesday I unloaded my rather complicated medical history to her, including current issues, and she ordered a urinalysis (done), blood tests (done), a tetanus (unrelated but precautionary - done), and a colonoscopy and EGD (scheduled). I've been told no more Excedrin, because apparently Excedrin causes rebound headaches which cause you to take more Excedrin... and the cycle continues. So I've been without caffeine, soda, alcohol, Excedrin, fried foods, and tea (even decaf) for six days.

Whether or not I'm going through caffeine withdraw (soda, tea and Excedrin) or whether it's Excedrin withdraw, is any one's guess. I've only take acetaminophen twice (one capsule each time) twice this week just to survive the pain. Yes, I'm drinking plenty of liquids, yes, I am trying to eat healthy except for the few days that my stomach was disagreeing (that was all soup and crackers). Who knows what is going on. But I'm pretty miserable.

Just so you know, I'm not looking for sympathy here, just being factual. This might explain a lot to those of you who know me (or maybe a little to those who don't). I am under a doctor's care.

Yesterday a friend at work cooked me an entire huge bowl of chicken noodle soup to take home.Last night Katie came over and gave me a facial/upper body massage to try to relieve some stress. Yes, I am loved. It's just hard to feel loved when you feel so horrible sometimes.

So last night I went to bed at 9:30-something which is unprecedented for me. But I've been sleeping heavily in between the waking up (normal for me) so I thought I'd give it a try since I was relaxed from the massage. I've been sleeping on a heating pad (with two hour shutoff) for back pain, so I did that with a cold compress on my head. I woke up at 4 AM in pain again... and awake. I seriously paced my apartment for awhile, then finally looked online for some neck and back stretches that I could do. Found two good ones, here and here, and after doing these while listening to a new age CD that Katie left, I felt better to go back to bed.

When I woke up today, it was the first time that my head wasn't pounding. It didn't last, but it was a beautiful break in the pain. I let out Antonio, drank some water, called my parents to let them know I was okay, and went back to bed. Now I'm up and doing the exercises again before laying back down to watch TV or something.

So who the heck knows, right? I'm hoping this headaches business lays off soon, and maybe with these exercises I can de-stress something I have going on in my neck/back/spine. My chiropractor is in Ohio... a bit inconvenient.

So comments are always welcome, but I thought I'd bring you all up to date. I'm surviving. If anyone wants to take Antonio for a walk because he's been doing nothing but laying around, that would be great, but please note that I am not good company. I'd rather you leave afterward than talk because I just don't feel well. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just being honest. I'm off to finish my back exercises and lay down. Ciao. And thank you for caring. I mean that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I love you and wish I could give you a hug!

September 20, 2008 12:59 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

You could see a chiropractor here you know... there are plenty of great ones. Glad you found some help in the stretches and such. Let me know if you need anything.

September 20, 2008 1:09 PM  
Blogger cherylann said...

I don't know how often you check your gmail, but I sent you something that might make you feel better... or give you more of a headache. I hope you feel better. My mom always made me decaf tea with milk and one sugar with toast when I wasn't feeling well... for some reason, it totally works for me. I'll keep you in my prayers.

September 20, 2008 5:21 PM  
Blogger danielle said...

I'm glad that your new doctor seems to be good. I hope that you feel better and can find greater balance soon.

September 21, 2008 7:27 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Sending happy thoughts to you. I usually do yoga when my back hurts, it may help you. Feel better soon. If there is anything I can do from here let me know.

September 21, 2008 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure hope that you feel better soon....thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way!!
Hugs,
Annie

September 22, 2008 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sending good wishes your way for a speedy recovery! if you do what you can to keep up w/good sleeping habits, you'll be amazed at how much your body will thank you.

September 22, 2008 5:39 PM  
Blogger jpb2525 said...

I am keeping you in my thoughts! Glad to see you are doing something (a lot of something) about it! Hang in there!!

September 27, 2008 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home