Saturday, April 03, 2010

Learning the Accordion

Learning the accordion is hard. Difficult. Nearly impossible. I am trying to learn the piano accordion in part to honor my recently deceased grandfather who was a Master Accordionist. Yes, a "Master." Gone are the days when one could be a Master at almost anything, but up until October 2009, my grandfather, Anthony "Val" Costa, taught and performed accordion for many after some 70 + years of playing. My dad, Alan Anthony Costa, also taught and still plays the accordion, so how better to honor my family than to give this instrument a shot?

So late last October, I decided to bring one of his 12 bass "learning" accordions back to Baltimore, and although I couldn't pick it up for a few months (it just made me too sad), I finally started playing in January and decided to learn what I could on my own.


Now I think it's important to note here that I have not practiced as much as my grandfather and dad would have me practice; It has been sporadic. But I am recommitted to learning this instrument, and this morning I picked it up again for the first time in weeks and decided to try my hand at playing the bass (the side with the buttons).

Here is a short video showing what I accomplished today. I am pretty darn proud. It's a tiny, teeny, itty bitty step, but it's a step nonetheless. Enjoy. :)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Missy B said...

That is really cool and a great way to honor your Grandfather.

April 03, 2010 11:40 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

you are too cute :)
for the record, i had two accordians when i was little-one very toy like and one a little less toy like. I LOVED playing it and am hoping to get Lily one of her own soon :)

April 03, 2010 1:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, that's cool. My grandfather played the clarinet in a Klezmer band. Maybe one day I'll do the same thing.

April 03, 2010 9:45 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

You are my hero

April 04, 2010 8:23 PM  
Blogger 少侠lin said...

i fell good!LOL
MY BOLGHeineken Commercial Song

May 18, 2012 3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home