Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Good News, Bad News

Okay... so there's good news, and there's bad news.

The good news is that we have finally scheduled my last eye surgery. YAY!

The bad news is that we have finally scheduled my last eye surgery.

That's right folks. My excitement is quickly waning. I had another follow up appointment today, and they did all of the testing and measuring necessary to prep for the pending surgery in July. Am I excited to have this over? YES. Am I a bit terrified over what I've discovered will happen? Oh HELL yeah.

What I have determined is that I will have a procedure called EPI-LASIK. Essentially this involves removing the epithelial (top most) layer of my corneas and applying the laser procedure to the raw, exposed, fresh corneal cells beneath. Interesting, huh? I kind of thought I might just get the traditional LASIK procedure at this point, but I'm afraid that I am not that lucky.

According to the coordinator at the eye center, I'll be out of commission for at least four days. The first will be the procedure; the second will be a follow up; the third will be hell on Earth; and the fourth will be bearable. Post-surgery, the doctor will apply temporary contacts to my eyes to protect them, and those babies won't be removed until the sixth day. My God.

Soooo.... my surgery is schedule for July 12th. I'll be off work from 7/12-7/17 at the least, and my parents will be coming to Bawlmer to take care of my sad, pathetic self. I actually asked the coordinator how much it hurts, and since she had the procedure done just two weeks before, I believed her when she said "like someone is pouring acid on your eyes."

Ahem.

I have been instructed to take ONE extra strength Tylenol and THREE Advil every four hours the day of and the days after my surgery. If that is an indication of the level of pain I am destined for, then I am mighty afraid. I can't wait to see what my blood pressure is going to rise to (as of this post, it is 120/90, which is normal for me).

You all know me. I'm not a "beg" kind of a girl... but please, please send me love. I have a relatively low pain tolerance, and although I am glad I know what is coming, I must admit that I am not at all pleased.

Oy vey.

6 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Hugs, coming your way!

June 21, 2006 1:39 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

So this sounds very much like the experience that Matt (my bil) had. My suggestion is cover EVERY SINGLE WINDOW in your house, never turn on any lights. Gracie's NIGHTLIGHT practically sent Matt into a complete nervous breakdown it hurt so much. Sorry. That probably doesn't help!

June 21, 2006 8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll be there :-) Might as well set up some nice music for your iPod - and keep in mind it's only 6 days out of your entire life... doesn't sound so bad that way, does it?

Love,

June 21, 2006 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went out to Colorado to help Elizabeth with the granddaughters when Matt had his procedure done. LISTEN TO WHAT MARIE SAID. NO LIGHT!!!!!!!! (I think that might need a couple extra !!!'s.) Matt was not very comfortable for the first four days. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. You must become a hermit-that-lives-in-the-dark. But, Matt can really SEE now.

June 21, 2006 2:02 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Dad and I have a plan. It's called "Tape Thick Paper To The Windows, " or TTPTTW (I just made that up... I'm so clever). He says it's heavy flooring paper. I think that plan, plus a lot of drugs, might just get me through. Oh my...

June 21, 2006 5:58 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Lots of love and hugs for you. If you need anything let me know and I will make you a "dark day" care package.

June 21, 2006 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home