Sunday, July 09, 2006

Book Reading Update

I'm afraid I will have to temporarily pass on Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I downloaded this as an audio book from bit torrent, and the mp3 files were so miss-labeled that I couldn't get them in order. This resulted in the story jumping all over the place, so I decided to tackle this one the old fashioned way and actually read it. Barnes and Noble, here I come.

Instead I am starting The World Is Flat on audio book and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress in paperback. The first I have always wanted to read because it got so much hype when it was first published. The second is a recommendation from my friend Richie, and it's described as both 'political' and 'sci-fi,' which should at least be interesting, although it clearly has libertarian themes and I'm not too sure I lean that way. I suppose we'll see.

On a final note, I completed Darkness Visible this morning. It was my second time reading it, but at 96 pages it's a light read. It's relatively heavy content though, so it's only recommended if you are into psychology, psychosis, and the strength of the human spirit. I find it fascinating that it's a first-person account of manic depression, but it might be pretty dark for some.

That's my update for now. Comments and recommendations on my reading choices always welcome. :)

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

themes, huh? what's the current theme?

July 09, 2006 6:24 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Ha ha... there's no current theme, unless it's called 'catch up.' I was going to read a few religious books after DaVinci Code and Holy Blood, Holy Grail, but it was too heavy a subject to make it a running theme... :)

July 09, 2006 7:40 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Do audio books count as reading, though? I don't think they should.

July 09, 2006 8:55 PM  
Blogger epiphanyinbmore said...

They definitely count.

July 09, 2006 9:03 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

But you're not reading them!

July 09, 2006 9:17 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Ha! Thanks, Epiphany... I listen to them while I walk/jog. I'd never get through so many books if I only read them, that or I wouldn't exercise.

July 09, 2006 9:24 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Like you need to watch where you're going when you're running!!!

July 09, 2006 9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm with snay on this one—audio books don't count as reading!

July 09, 2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Teaming up against me on my own blog.... that's so sad....

July 09, 2006 10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Rissa on this one - audio DOES count. Bottom line is you hear the story, know the story, can discuss the story, and you don't get a headache :-)

July 09, 2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

We're not "teaming up" against you, we're, er, "offering a different perspective."

Besides, what're you worried about? Epiph's on your side, and don't you see that bulging bicep? You've totally got the muscle on your side.

July 09, 2006 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but it's not reading, it's LISTENING!

July 09, 2006 11:16 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

I'd like to point out that my blog says "what I am reading or listening to..." I could differentiate between books I've READ and books I've HEARD, but that would get confusing considering how many books I've been through in my life, wouldn't it?

July 09, 2006 11:32 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Charissa, I think I speak for both me and Brian when I say that neither of us meant to upset you. I didn't notice that, yes, on your sidebar, it says "read or listened to". Apparently, I'm not so good at reading. :(

July 09, 2006 11:59 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Oh my. I'm not UPSET... goodness gracious. I'm FEISTY. I don't mind arguments at all, I just usually think I'm right. :D

July 10, 2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Oh.

Well. Here I was feeling all bad. Now I'm feeling argumentative myself!

Happy Birthday by the way -- I saw your post before you took it down. Mine is next month, but I'm a year and a month younger than you, and as we all know, age comes before beauty (therefore, I must conceed this argument to you, as even if beauty came before age, you'd still win).

July 10, 2006 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home