Saturday, July 29, 2006

Fried Green Tomatoes

The food, not the movie.

I tried it. And it was... interesting. First I want to say that this tomato was green on the outside. I realize it looks ripe on the inside, but once I decided I was going to try this, the color of the tomato wasn't about to stop me.

As far as cooking it, I improvised with the flour mixture and added some sugar (because the woman at the farmer's market recommended it), and I didn't use eggs (didn't have any). I thought I overcooked the first one, but after undercooking the second one, I realized that the first slice was a lot closer to being "right." At that point it was too late to go back and recook.

Overall, they were good, with the second (burnt-looking) one being better. The sugar was a great idea, I could taste it more so on the cooked tomato than the undercooked one. At the end of the day, I like tomatoes, so I'd eat them raw, but this didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. Completely edible, but I don't believe I did this famous southern dish any justice.

Does anyone have a recipe for fried green tomatoes that I can try?

3 Comments:

Blogger Missy B said...

Should you decide to go for third times the charm, here is the recipe from "Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe".
1 medium green tomato
salt
pepper
white cornmeal
bacon drippings
Slice tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick, season with salt and pepper and then coat both sides with cornmeal. In a large skillet, heat enough bacon drippings to coat the bottom of the pan and fry tomatoes until lightly browned on both sides.

July 30, 2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Bacon drippings? I haven't made bacon in over a year!!

July 30, 2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Yeah I don't usually eat it either. I just wrote what the book said.

July 30, 2006 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home