Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Fallout Shelters

Antonio and I were out walking a few hours ago, and I saw a "fallout shelter" sign on the Shrine of the Sacred Heart school building. I admit that I was surprised to see it because nuclear bombs aren't exactly on my list of major concerns.

It's probably left over from the Cold War era, but the sign looked relatively modern. Are these shelters really operational? You know - just in case?

I guess I could get there within 5 to 10 minutes if I really, really, really (i.e. North Korea) needed to... creepy.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those fallout shelter signs are everywhere around here. Usually on old schools and churches. I feel safer.

August 09, 2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Remember: when the zombies come, those shelters will be a trap! Stay mobile, and get yourself a silenced .22. You can laugh if you want, but ...

August 09, 2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger kris said...

My family live in PA, near a nuclear power plant. That stuff is everywhere up there...

August 10, 2006 7:48 AM  
Blogger Jamaila said...

I don't know about fallout shelters, but in our neighborhood they use the old air raid sirens as the volunteer firehouse alarm. It freaked me out when we moved here but now I don't even hear it. The first time one of my friends came over and heard it, though, she jumped under a table.

August 10, 2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger Missy B said...

We have signs all over for evacuation routes and shelters. They have a picture of swirling doom on them. Side note: During Charley my roof stayed on but the High School, a designated shelter, lost the roof to the gym. In case you weren't aware the gym is where everyone is supposedly the safest or at least where they put the cots.

August 10, 2006 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my highschool had these signs everywhere. it opened in 1847.

August 11, 2006 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home