Thursday, August 10, 2006

I Told You So

I know. I'm never supposed to say that. But it's so fun to be right sometimes!

I have a skill. For two years I have correctly predicted the American Idols. (No, I didn't vote.) And last year I predicted the win of Michael from the first season of Hell's Kitchen (incidentally, I predict Heather this season), and Matt on The Biggest Loser.

Okay, so some of you think that I watch way too much TV, and you're right. I'm working on that.

Well tonight I've done it again because Josh Blue won Last Comic Standing. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. I love that kid.

For those of you that haven't been watching, Josh is a comedian with cerebral palsy and tends to poke fun at his own condition. If you haven't seen him, take a few moments and watch video here. (Work folks: YouTube is blocked for us in the office. Sorry.)

Just as a sample of his humor, in one video Kathy Griffin asks him, "Well Josh - everybody loves you obviously. So what inspired you to do stand up of all things?" Josh answers, "I didn't think I had a choice, really. What am I gonna do? Be a traffic cop?" (Picture Josh waving his arms in the air frantically.) It sounds horrible sure, but if he can't laugh at himself, or make us laugh at his differences, well then - who can?

I am very excited that he won, but more importantly - what exactly does this mean for my Big Brother 7 odds? Unfortunately, BB7 wasn't on TV last night because the stupid Orioles broadcast their game. So Richie and I downloaded it and watched it tonight instead.

I haven't yet had the chance to talk to Richie since I've been caught up, but things are definitely getting interesting. Here are the standings to date. The houseguests in red are up for eviction on Saturday.

Charissa's Team
Kaysar, Janelle, Danielle, Howie, Erika

Richie's Team
Will, Mike Boogie, Marcellas, James, George
Voted out: Diane

I am actually feeling more confident now that Janelle won the Power of Veto and Kaysar was put up for eviction in her place. I realize that there is a good chance that Kaysar will leave, but so far he has managed to stay under the radar. I believe that he's a better strategist than James, and I suspect that he will also be better at mustering votes than either Janelle could have been or James will be.

If anyone can save himself against James, Kaysar is the man. All he has to do is expose James' alliances with Danielle and The Legion of Doom. I realize this can hurt me later, but I think that the Legion is already falling apart after the POV competition. Kaysar can win votes from Janelle, Howie, Erika, and potentially Marcellas (if Marcellas knows that the others tried to have him nominated instead). Will and Mike Boogie can be bought if the price is high enough.

Things are definitely still lookin' good....

11 Comments:

Blogger Brian Sacawa said...

I want to know, what is it with the use of "of"? I can't stand when it's used to make a perfectly good two-word phrase into a three-word phrase, usually in order to make the writer sound "smarter." Like, "Power of Veto," for example. Ooooooh. What's wrong with Veto Power? It actually sounds stronger that way. Plus it's a one-syllable savings. Concision is a virtue.

August 10, 2006 12:49 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Oh God - at first I thought my horrible use of the English language was seeping through. I was thinking, "What did I type???"

I'd like to comment on use of the "of's," but I spent the afternoon with someone (who shall remain nameless) who said that he "woulda did..." so I'm still a bit flustered from that.

August 10, 2006 12:57 AM  
Blogger Brian Sacawa said...

Nope, not you. Just a pet peeve. Newspeople do it way too often.

August 10, 2006 1:22 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

How did Janelle NOT GET THE BOOT?! My God, it's like pre-WWII Europe, and she's Germany and no one is willing to kick her ass! C'mon France! C'mon Britain! GO GET HER!!

August 10, 2006 1:28 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

She won the veto and removed herself from nomination... stop complaining and watch it, Snay!

August 10, 2006 8:02 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

No, 'cuz then I'd wind up throwing stuff at the television -- at Janelle --, and that'd be bad!!!! (because I'd break the tv) :(

BEsides, I'm never home when BB is on.

(When is it on?)

August 10, 2006 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allow me to be a voice from the echo chamber. You are indeed watching too much television, especially those reality-type shows. Heck, the weather has been bearable around here for the first time in weeks.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who spent last night working on the computer for work.

August 10, 2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Jason - I agree! But after 8 or 9 pm it's dark and I'm indoors! B-more isn't the best place to be walking around too much at night.

August 10, 2006 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't need to necessarily walk around, as admittedly Baltimore doesn't have some of the outdoor cafe/restaurant/bar places to enjoy such as Boston, LA, or New York. There are a handful of places to enjoy the weather outdoors, though. I can think of one in my neighborhood that is pretty quiet.

August 10, 2006 3:48 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Most of the places on my side of town are bars/restaurants or the dog parks, of course. Antonio and I do that, but he can't last in the heat - so our walks are shorter than I'd like. I need to start heading to Patterson Park with a blanket to read...

August 10, 2006 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tale about Josh Blue reminds me of a comedienne I saw on Long Island many years ago who had a metallic prosthetic arm. She said that when her kids asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she told them "Noxon".

August 12, 2006 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home