Thursday, November 02, 2006

Interesting Story

So as many of you know I have this new job. I love it, I really do... although I came home extremely tired today. It's okay, the weekend is just around the corner!

At this new job I have taken over the desk of my predecessor. He was a bit of a pack rat, I guess... and together we went through a lot of boxes and folders getting rid of old products, collateral and other stuff. Well last week was his final week, so this week I moved into his desk and proceeded to work my way through the boxes and files that we didn't make it to.

Sometime on Monday I noticed an odd, rank kind of smell. It was intermittent, so it was difficult to figure out where it was coming from. After eliminating myself and my belongings as culprits to the stinkiness, I finally focused my suspicion on an access panel in the floor under my desk. The stink came and went, but at it's worst I had to get up and walk away from my desk. I cleaned out everything from underneath my desk, so there was nothing visible that could be causing it.

Finally I sent an email to our facilities folks, and a guy came by and didn't smell anything, which was discouraging. Up to that point, only my desk neighbor and myself had smelled it, and his whiff was fleeting and brief. So the facilities guy left and the smell came again, this time with another co-worker nearby. She smelled it too, so I quickly emailed the facilities guy again and he came down right away.

Well, needless to say... he smelled it on his second visit. And he knew the smell. As it turned out, there was a decomposing mouse under the floor deep inside the access panel. GAG. They removed it over lunch, and the smell is gone, but I think the drama has left a lasting impression on my coworkers. They tease me now that 'this stuff never happened when so-in-so was here..." So I have a legacy already.

Isn't that awful? Can you believe a dead mouse? Gross...

6 Comments:

Blogger Broadsheet said...

Instead of "Interesting Story", you should have titled this one "EEUUWWWW"

November 02, 2006 10:01 PM  
Blogger NPR Junky said...

I'm with broadsheet, baby! How gross!

November 02, 2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

ew.

November 02, 2006 11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ick. That happened to me a couple of months ago, except it was my own desk. Unfortunately I'd been out of the office for a few days and while everyone had looked around the desk, it was up to me to do something like pull out one of the bottom drawers to see that he'd somehow gotten stuck in the space underneath.

We hosed that spot down with the Lysol, you bet.

November 03, 2006 1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so the idea of working in a (moldy) modular bldg all day isn't so bad now, eh? nothing a little bleach & paint can't take care of =D

November 03, 2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

Maybe he just didn't notice the smell? That's why "it didn't happen when he was there". ;-)

glad it's gone now. EWWW.

November 03, 2006 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home