Friday, December 29, 2006

A Day in History

Many of us will likely blog about Saddam Hussein's execution, so I don't want to take the time now to react in a long, drawn out post, but this is certainly a sad day for us all. Not that Saddam wasn't a bastard or that he didn't deserve it... in fact, he may be one of few men in history who deserves punishment the most... but I find it difficult to celebrate.

I'm not feeling overly religious or overly political in my current views about this, only that I will always find it difficult to rejoice in the death of another. American culture allows us to almost be at ease with a dramatic showdown of gunfire that saves the innocent from imminent danger, but that isn't what happened here.

This whole war business has been so drawn out, so much so that I am admittedly emotionally absent at times when discussing it. I'm not proud that I am able to block out current events so that I can enjoy my daily life, but on a day like today it's just not possible. We are experiencing history. We have participated in the execution of a world leader. Saddam was a horrific ruler, and I admit that I hope he burns in whatever hell you or I believe in, but it's still not a happy day. I find it strange that anyone could possibly see today's events this way.

3 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

I totally agree, sistah.

December 30, 2006 12:54 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Remember what I said the day this all started? MISTAKE. We were together-one of those moments I will never forget.

December 30, 2006 8:33 AM  
Blogger Cham said...

I find nothing joyous about it either. We are a sick society.

December 30, 2006 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home