Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The "30" Project #17

I saw my niece born.

This is really my sister's accomplishment as far as giving birth, but I did give up 6 months of college abroad to stay home and see her come into the world (I was supposed to study in Ireland). Missy used this as an accomplishment, so I figured I could, too, since it's her game.:)

So my niece, Calista (Kah-lee-stah, not Kah-list-ah), was born eight years ago April. Birth, in general, is not pleasant to witness, and it was even more strange at the time because it was my sister, but being there to welcome her into the world was one of the most powerful moments of my life. They say that you fall in love all over again when you give birth to your own child. She's not mine - I didn't carry her for 9 months or go through those birth pains - but watching her enter the world, screaming and all, was the closest I have come. My niece and nephews are everything to me. There's nothing I wouldn't do for them. It was so special to see her born and to see her grow into the young lady she is today, and I couldn't love her (or them) any more. It's just not possible. I can only hope that I do good by them by being the best aunt I can be. I don't always succeed, I'm sure... but I do my best and they seem to keep loving me regardless...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home