Thursday, June 21, 2007

The "30" Project #10

I'm a champion video gamer (admittedly by my own account).

But I know how to win, dangit! Okay, so to those of you who don't play video or PC games, this won't seem like a big deal... but I am a gamer, and I play games until there's nothing left to play. I've won all of the scenarios on Rollercoaster Tycoon (original) and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, as well as most of the expansions. I've won the original WarCraft and WarCraft II, and am currently stuck (have been for a year) on one scenario in WarCraft III. I've completed most of the Myst games... winning Myst III: Exile in about 36 straight hours about four years ago. I've completed Kingdom Hearts (with a partner), Zoo Tycoon, SimCity (up until SimCity 4), SimTower, Siberia, Siberia II, PoliceQuest (remember that one?), Railroad Tycoon, etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on. I just love computer games, and even more so, I love to win. For this, video games are perfect because the expectations are clear and straightforward; it just takes a lot of time, logic, creativity, and patience. As good as I am, I must admit that my sister holds the record for who-can-stay-up-the-longest-on-Christmas-vacation-and-win-every-game-we-both-received-for-Christmas. Even so, I still consider myself a pretty fiece gaming opponent.

Current games in play: RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, expansion pack Soaked! (I haven't started the Wild! expansion yet); WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos (I haven't started The Frozen Throne expansion because I've been stuck on one scenario in Reign of Chaos for a year); Myst IV Revelation (I kinda got bored); and DreamFall. I also have a World of Warcraft play card that I haven't tried yet, as well as the Sim Collection to replay. Luckily, I have a dad and coworker who are also gamers so I don't have to feel like such a nerd.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with Nerds :) Gates in one...

Besides, game playing is a mental exercise that relieves stress yet exercises problem solving - something everyone needs from time to time.

Question: Which is the best Myst series? I need a break from playing the WW2 games. Or maybe I'll try Sim City 4.

Love, Dad

June 21, 2007 8:47 AM  
Blogger Jamaila said...

If you start playing World of Warcraft, play on the Zul'Jin server! Then you can play with meeeeee! ;)

June 21, 2007 8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How have you not played the Monkey Island series games?! They are legendary!

June 21, 2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

Not to be repetitive, but how have you not played all the various flavors of Civilization? You'd probably really like Empire Earth, as well...

June 21, 2007 10:07 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Awesome. Sierra's line of "Quest" games totally FTW! That's actually pretty hardcore old school.

ps: all those Sims games and you haven't played The Sims Online? I hear it's pretty fun (ie. addictive).

June 21, 2007 2:20 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Dad: I liked Myst I-III just fine, and you watched me play IV, remember? Just start at I. The puzzles get harder, so starting at the beginning makes sense.

Jamaila: You play WoW? NO WAY.

Anon: I don't recall Monkey Island, but I'll go look them up now.

Jwer: I have played the Civ games, but I don't think I've won any of them. They go on for a long time. I also liked Pharaoh but I got stuck at the end a lot. And never Empire Earth... at least not yet, anyway.

Jon: Dude... I TOTALLY played King's Quest. I forgot about that. Wasn't there a princess in a tower? And to get the key you had to get the half horse/man thing to play the flute? Was that that game? Oh, and no Sims... I have an addictive personality and I just don't need anyone else to take care of. :)

June 21, 2007 7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that you mention it, I do remember Myst IV. I remember trying to get the monkey into the right pod/tree, and got frustrated before you did, lol.


By the way, I tried SimCity 4 tonight and I think they made it to complicated. You have all these advisors, but you have to make all the final decisions. Trying to keep the city growing and not going broke is a trick.

Love, Dad

June 21, 2007 10:47 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Was that King's Quest or Quest for Glory ("so you want to be a hero?"). I am totally getting them mixed up... I think I'll err on the side of caution and assume there were centaurs and magical flutes in both of them.

June 22, 2007 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home