Thursday, June 21, 2007

The "30" Project #11

I've been a blogger for over a year. 587 posts and counting. :)

I have been criticized by a few for my blog and how it's "all about me." And it's true. Many folks who chose to become bloggers write under a pen name, many of whom I consider friends: Snay, AH, NPR, Broadsheet, etc. But when I started my blog, I was following in the footsteps of friends that used their full names, and who blogged about their children, their hobbies, and their outlook on life, so I did the same. Does the way I blog create a bit of a risk? Absolutely. I have to be careful of what I blog about because it is directly associated with my name. And for those who don't read regularly, my name isn't exactly common. I don't blog about work, I don't blog about my friends' secrets or things they'd prefer to keep private - well, that's a lie... I did that once by mistake and lost someone I cared about because of it.

I tend to blog about random thoughts I have, activities that I participate in, or insignificant topics, such as TV shows and movies, but it is all me, because every time I sit down to post, there's no hiding behind a name or a computer. Every opinion and comment on these pages is from a my very open life. I am not being critical of those that chose the more private method, some have jobs or families that need protected, yet still have something valuable (or not valuable) to say. This is the choice we make. Because my name is on my blog, I leave myself vulnerable to personal attacks and harassment. There is far less risk when you blog behind a name - there are far fewer consequences for what you write. I don't feel that my posts are any more or less important than other bloggers. This is my life, and I've never claimed to be particularly exciting or interesting... this is just me.

So to close, I appreciate all of you that stop in to read. I can't make any promises on the content, but feel free to stay and read if you are amused, inspired or just curious. If you are insulted, you are welcome to share. If, as a result of my posts, I am seen as egotistical or a braggart, so be it. I don't blog to please anyone. I put the craziness that is my brain in writing, and if you are so intrigued, you are more than welcome to join in.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's your blog and you should write about whatever you want. If people don't like what you write they should a) stop visiting your blog and/or 2) create their own blog and put themselves out there. I write under a blog name, yet I still have stalker problems and aggressive commenters. I don't understand it, but whatever. My blog is not a democracy or publicly funded. I don't owe anyone anything in the blogosphere and neither do you.

It's so interesting how everyone's a tough guy and a critic behind an anonymous comment. I'm fairly certain these Comments Trolls would not have the stones to share the same criticisms in real life. Perhaps we should invite them all to the next blogger happy hour and see how much they have to say.

June 21, 2007 10:52 PM  
Blogger Broadsheet said...

Yes - exactly! And that particular troll is famous for avoiding blogger get togethers. All the better.

The brain scan post was done in jest and parody. He poked fun gently at all of us - and rightly so. And that's the difference between him and the troll. He got us to laugh at ourselves in a good way, which is always better than belittling other people.

Frankly, I the troll is simply embarrassing to himself. I don't have an opinion on him one way or another except to cringe.

Kinda like the lady hiker who slept with the Park Ranger.

June 21, 2007 11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that you have moved to that far away city your friends and family from home like to read you random thoughts, it's almost like having you here.
If I want someone's opinion on the news, I'll check out Fox.

June 22, 2007 12:04 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

YAY!!!

June 22, 2007 10:16 AM  
Blogger cherylann said...

I heart this blog!!

June 22, 2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I have to say although I find myself writing about politics (an awful lot), my blog is strangely similar in style to yours. I, too, use my name. I am also hoping that my family and friends who happen to be all over the country can come to one place to see what I'm up to and what I'm thinking.
It bothered me that someone would blatantly poke fun at you and not have the guts to back it up with his real name. I just think its rather cowardly.
I love your blog Rissa!

June 22, 2007 6:46 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

I for one love your blog. It has allowed us to be in touch again after way too much time had passed.

June 22, 2007 7:27 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Who cares what anyone else thinks. This blog is about you; it's your blog. I love reading what you have to say on various things. Who says everything has to be profound...what a boring world that would be.

June 23, 2007 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home