Wednesday, October 17, 2007

An Impressive Distinction

It's a shame that I never thought of it, but MSNBC.com was clever enough to invent a pretty cool "Top 5" list - songs by fictional movie bands. What a great idea!

Starting at #5, they chose On the Dark Side by Eddie and the Cruisers... this is a killer song. (From Eddie in the Cruisers, the movie.) It's like Springsteen, but apparently "absolutely wrong" according to the MSBC experts. They say a bunch of stuff about the guitars and lyrics (whatever), but this is a song that has outlived it's roots in my opinion. I'm definitely adding this one to el iPod. I can't believe I haven't downloaded it yet.

Next at #4 is Pretend to Be Nice by Josie and the Pussycats (from Josie and the Pussycats). I admit that I never saw the movie, it was one of those bands/movies that came and went before I ever knew what they really were, but after watching the video for this song I don't think I missed out. Wow. This song is a new breed of horrible. The only highlight for me was the 5 second glimpse of Alan Cumming in the video - what a neat actor. Otherwise, this song is incredibly disappointing.

Rounding out the middle of the lineup at #3 is How Silly Can You Get by Nick Rivers. This is from the movie Top Secret and hahahaha... this is a funny one. I guess you could call it catchy, but it's all straight comedy (unlike On the Dark Side). I don't think I've ever seen Val Kilmer looking so cheesy. Are those the same teeth he has today? They can't be. Ah, well... I've added this one to my Netflix. I couldn't help myself.

In the runner up position at #2 is God Give Me Strength by Denise Waverly. This is from Grace of My Heart, yet another movie that I'd never heard of. This one was really quite sweet, and although not particularly memorable, has a bit of an quiet inspirational quality to it. I found it interesting that this song (although made for the movie) never made it onto the soundtrack. Why? I wonder. It's a cutie.

And last but not least (and the reason I wrote this post), is our winner at #1 - That Thing You Do! by The Wonders from That Thing You Do! My family loves this movie. I have this on VHS, and I have to be honest that I'm not sure if I bought my own copy of if I took this one from my parents house when I moved out. Hmmm... anyway...the MSNBC experts have it right when they call it "raw, energetic, clever, and wildly catchy." The movie and the song are just a joy to watch, and it has Tom Hanks, Liv Tyler and Tom Everett Scott (I heart him) - a winning combination. Written, directed and starred in by Tom Hanks, That Thing You Do! is just adorable and worth the watch.

And why not take a listen?


Find the article on MSNBC HERE.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bet you know the answer to this one - what band was fictional and got so popular they became a real band.
Here is a hint - this note is from Mom

October 17, 2007 10:59 PM  
Blogger danielle said...

I know the answer! but I won't give it away.

I love That Thing You Do! For being gorgeous, Liv Tyler always seems so likeable.

October 17, 2007 11:05 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

THE MONKEES!!! Of course, I know this one. I lived in your house for like, a zillion years. :)

October 17, 2007 11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for saying I am old enough for you to live "here" for a zillion years, you must get up and dance to Tomorrow's Gonna be Another Day by Davey Jones - though Mike was my fav

October 17, 2007 11:18 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Oh geez... not what I meant, mom, but I just listened to that song anyway and couch-danced to it. See how much I love you?

October 17, 2007 11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just kiddin' Rissa, I love you too, baby.

October 18, 2007 7:09 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

"The Wonders, as in, 'I wonder whatever happened to the Oneders?'"

I'm a little disappointed that I've only seen 3 of those movies. How did this happen? Josie & the Pussycats was surprisingly good, actually. And of course, Top Gun rules, even if no one remembers exploding Pintos anymore...

October 18, 2007 8:27 AM  
Blogger cherylann said...

Uhhh... when I first spotted this article yesterday the song I immediately thought of was "On the Dark side" - I heart that movie. I did like the movie that was number one though. Good list.

ps- I heart the Monkees too! I saw them in concert twice. Never with Mike though- slacker!

October 18, 2007 12:32 PM  
Blogger Samatakah said...

Bumped into you from the "next blog" button.

What about "Lick My Love Pump" from Spinal Tap? Though it's not a whole song, it is pretty (not catchy though)...

Ever see the movie the Monkees made? 1968's "Head." Weird. But they were making fun of themselves and the band-creation machine (you'd never see Backstreet or Hannah Montana doing that). Got cancelled shortly thereafter.

October 18, 2007 8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Times were different - they were supposed to be mocking the beatles, the movie was a spoof of Help.
At the time it was soooo funny.

October 18, 2007 10:02 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

I love that movie and song. I'll be singing it in my dreams.

October 18, 2007 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home