Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Netflixing Ben-Hur

Okay. Just watched Disc 1 of 2: Ben-Hur, the Collector's Edition. It is dated, certainly, and I admit that it took me ten minutes or so to get over some of the mediocre acting elements (you know the dramatic hugs, the dramatic looks of shock - okay, the dramatic everything). But... it's good. I am surprised it's as good as it is considering the film is so freakin' old.

Now let me provide some clarification, because I'm not someone adverse to old movies. I've seen my fair share of classics, black and whites, musicals, old sci-fi movies, etc. The film was made in 1959, and that's fine by me, but it won ELEVEN Academy Awards. It's known as one of the best movies of all time - which, of course, is why I am watching it in the first place - so there is a certain quality that one would expect from a film that has this much distinction. Maybe it's hard to understand the shock that I'm, but this movie is old in the way that the original Star Trek is old, and it's still good. I think the only major differences between Star Trek and Ben Hur might be the presence of aliens, and that the hot women in Ben Hur wear longer skirts.

So I am off to bed, but hopefully I can finish watching the second half tomorrow. At this point I'm very much into the story right now, and if it was the weekend, I'd be pulling an all-nighter to finish it. Responsibility calls, though... so tomorrow night it is.

6 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

CASABLANCA!

October 10, 2007 12:06 AM  
Blogger cherylann said...

OMG! I totally LOVE Ben-Hur! My favorite scene is the ship battle... the "music" is classic! What took you so long to watch it??? hehehe.

You know I love old movies... and Casablanca?? No. That's one movie I never thought was as spectacular as everyone said it was.

October 10, 2007 2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, the old Star Trek had something! It was socially responsible; it took on issues such as racism long before the networks were comfortable doing that.
You’re just mad because you wanted to watch the Smurfs!

October 10, 2007 8:20 AM  
Blogger Carol Ott said...

You might also like the original version of Cape Fear. I was skeptical at first, but it really blew me away. Very twisted movie...in an avante-garde kind of way, considering when it was made.

October 10, 2007 4:18 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Some of my favorite classic movie watching memories involve you. Remember when we discovered "Mame" and "Thoroughly Modern Millie"?

October 10, 2007 8:30 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

You wanted to watch the Smurfs instead of Star Trek? C'mon, Charissa!

October 11, 2007 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home