Monday, November 12, 2007

DSHell

My posts have been spotty lately because we've been having DSL issues. Once again, the little blinky light on my modem continues to pulsate - on and off - night and day. It's just never good when that starts happening. Well, once again the DSL tech guys are coming by the house tomorrow (sometime between 8 AM and 7 PM, of course) to see what the heck is wrong this time.

Last time a certain someone hooked up a phone to the line without a DSL filter (no, it wasn't me). This time it better be Verizon's fault. After four plus days of little to no service, and hours and hours on the phone with tech support (hours of my life that I will never get back again), I calmly told el Landlord that I nominated him to stay home all day tomorrow - I waited last time. Like I said, this time it better be Verizon's fault... but the little devil on my shoulder is bettin' on someone else.

Update:
I was actually yelling at the cable guy over the phone when a certain high-ranking individual at my Company came by my desk (think REALLY high ranking). Yeah. Fabulous. Anyway, by the time the cable guy came by my house, the modem was functioning fine. WTF? I was quite agitated when I explained to him that it is awfully convenient that the DSL is down for an entire weekend, then suddenly fixes itself the day he comes by. I asked about the independent line and he treated me like an idiot, so it's decided: the next time this happens I am dumping the service and getting an air card. I can't take the hassle anymore. I pay too much to put up with it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

And here I was thinking you weren't replying to my e-mails because you don't like me! :)

How much do you spend for DSL? Couldn't you just get a wireless connect card for your laptop? From my research on the subject, Sprint is the way to go. (Or, consider going to Comcast).

November 13, 2007 12:35 AM  
Blogger jpb2525 said...

DSL sucks......you should either try cable modem or get a Sprint broadband card (I have both and NEVER have any issues), and Sprint broadband is portable and is only 59.99/mo unlimited. Seriously its perfect. Lemme know what you end up doing.

November 13, 2007 3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem here is the "ghetto fabulous" way Verizon deploys DSL. I would be adamant with the technician that you cannot control the usage of filters in your house. Have them run a dedicate line for just the DSL modem.

I had DSL, and aside from the flaky PPPoE client I had from my provider, it actually worked pretty well. Again, the issue here is Verizon's cheap deployment of DSL.

November 13, 2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger Carol Ott said...

I'm with JJT. Have them run a dedicated line for your DSL. Once they did that here, I was fine -- no DSL problems at all.

November 13, 2007 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home