Sunday, November 04, 2007

Reviews & Opinons: Part II

First up is The Italian Job, starring Mark Wahlberg and some other people including Edward Norton and Charlize Theron. Very clever. A heist film that is creative and sophisticated without being too outlandish. The car chase scenes were pretty fun to watch, and I was admittedly happy that the love interest BS didn't take over the movie. You kind of knew it was there, but it didn't interfere with the telling of the story. I liked this movie quite a bit, and honestly, I didn't expect to. I thought it was going to be more like Four Brothers, which really wasn't my thing. Good thing.

Lastly, Jill and I saw American Gangster today. I had no idea that it was based on a true story. Somehow I missed that. It was very good. It was bloody, gory and sometimes violent, but the acting was superb. Denzel Washington was incredible. He's always incredible, but he often plays a good guy, and in this movie, he wasn't so good. The movie was pretty long at about 2.5 hours, but we really had no idea it was that long until we got out and looked at a clock. It kept my attention and interest the entire time... despite the excess of heroin shooting needle scenes (ugh). Oh yeah, and there was a lot of female nudity. (I was pretty disturbed by the ten year old boy whose parents brought him to see this movie, but hell, what do I know, right?) Good movie. Four stars.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Four Brothers was pretty rough stuff too. Not a favorite.
Went to see the new Bourne movie, I like them but as we left I noticed a perhaps 4 year old there with his mother. I wanted to yell at her "Are you out of your mind?”
There is a lot of violence in the movie and suspense, meant to make you afraid. I am sure that worked real well on a 4 year old.
Sometimes people wonder where children get their appetite for violence. It makes me wonder too.

November 04, 2007 9:27 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

If you like a bad Denzel, Training Day is for you. For a good, but badass Denzel, Man on Fire is worth a look. Both are violent and gritty.

November 04, 2007 9:35 PM  
Blogger jwer said...

You do realize of course that you are now obligated to watch the original Italian Job and post a review... I happen to own it, if that helps (I have a bit of a Mini fixation).

November 04, 2007 10:53 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Is this that new movie where Russell Crowe punches a guy? Cuz that's the one I want to see. I heard it's real good.

November 05, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger CindyWags said...

Where did you see American Gangster? It's playing at the new theater (that's thee-ATE-er) in Harbor East... I want to check out the new place, so for me it's a toss up between Am.Gngstr and Bee Movie. Hmm... Your review is influencing me.

November 05, 2007 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home