Sunday, December 30, 2007

Order Complete

Well, I just bought a new computer. DELL Refurbished. My dad and I went through the selection of available units online, and I finally settled on a Dimension E520.

The last 24 hours have been irritating. I upgraded my memory on my laptop, only to discover that the video card was insufficient for the game I wanted to play... then I upgraded the CD-ROM drive on my desktop to a DVD drive, only to have my motherboard begin making ominous beeps and groans. I finally seemed to get everything in line, when it crashed again and resumed the beeping and groaning. I threw my hands in the air and decided to get a new PC. It's refurbished, so more affordable, and it comes with a two year warranty so I can at least stop any worrying in the short term. It's just never fun to have to rush-buy a new computer, and after my spending this holiday, I really need to get some bills paid off.

That said, here are my Dimension E520 Specs:

Dimension E520 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6320 (1.86GHz, 1066 FSB)
Certified Refurbished
256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
2 GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months
16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Microsoft Works 8.5 with MS Office Trial Version Software
56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
250 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
13 in 1 Media Card Reader

4 Comments:

Blogger cherylann said...

Dude, you're getting a Dell! (sorry... just had to say it!)

My computer actually caught on fire a few days before Thanksgiving so I had to rush out on Black Friday to pick one up. I hate having to buy a computer in a rush! Good news though, a friend of mine found a new power source for my old computer for only $35 and is going to fix it for free! Sweet! Sorry you didn't have good luck with upgrading yourself... hope you can return everything.

December 31, 2007 3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are probably going to have some issues with Windows Vista and the game you are seeking to play. Vista's gaming performance is legendary--legendary in how much it sucks. I hope that it works for you, but most of the nerd/geek rags I read lambaste gaming performance under Vista.

The NVidia card you ordered isn't bad, but I would look to bumping up to the 8300/8800 series of GeForce cards. The 7300 is not bad, but it depends on what you are planning to push it.

Finally, uninstall McAfee when you get the machine and install AVG AntiVirus Pro. Your machine's performance will be much better than that with McAfee. Those products are incredibly abd resource hogs.

December 31, 2007 8:25 AM  
Blogger Jamaila said...

Ditto everything Jason said, with an added emphasis on the evils of Vista.

Also, I'm dying to know which game you wanted to play. Because I'm a nerd. ;)

December 31, 2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Thanks, all, for the info. I bought the new PC with the reqs for my new game in mind. It said that it works on Vista (although I was admittedly hesitant), and I made sure the AV were also up to par on the new machine. I am also a fan of AVG, thoug, so thanks for that tip - good to know.

The new game is SimSocieties, which is the next in the SimCity series, but far less horrific that the SC 2000. That game was impossible and no fun. The real question today is will some of my older games (Warcraft, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc.) have updates for Vista compatibility. I didn't really think of that yesterday, so I guess time will tell if I'm screwed or not.

December 31, 2007 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home