Friday, January 18, 2008

I'm A Very Good Driver.

I can say that, right? Because it took approximately 30 1/2 years for me to have my first car accident. Not bad, I think.

So picture this:

Charissa driving to work
Fire Trucks pulling out from Fallsway Rd doing a U-Turn onto 83
Cars brake in strange places not sure how to react to fire truck
Girl in Honda brakes
Charissa brakes
Brakes lock
Charissa slides
Charissa performs accident avoidance maneuvers
Charissa hits curb, blows tire, cracks rim
Charissa still hits Honda

Aaahhhh... Good story. Believe it or not, I'm really taking it all okay. The driver I hit was very kind, and I was very apologetic. I felt bad. The firemen were fun and polite and helpful, and the Baltimore Policemen (although it took a long time for them to show up) were very nice. (They came back later to make sure I was towed okay.)

I was lucky because it could have been worse. After the our claim was filed, one policeman moved my car off of the curb (that's the curb on 83N and Fayette Street - yep, that was me) and to a side street, and I waited for a tow truck for about two hours. CJ was awesome, because she came to wait with me, and then took me home. So I'm currently without a car, and it won't get looked at until Monday... which means I'll need to get a rental car on Sunday.

Oh well... like I said, I was lucky. It could have been worse in so many ways. Sure, I may have a hefty car repair in my future, but everything important is safe and in tact.

For now, I'll just live with the amusement that for a few short hours, I was one of those exclamation points on the traffic.com map of Baltimore. There go my 15 minutes of fame...

11 Comments:

Blogger Missy B said...

I am glad you are OK.

January 18, 2008 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange! I was just looking at Traffic.com, then I came here to your blog, and read your "incident" story!

Yes, my life is full of ironic moments such as these....

January 18, 2008 8:58 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Ouch! That sucks! But at least everyone is okay, and all that's hurt is property.

January 18, 2008 10:45 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

So glad you're okay!

January 18, 2008 11:34 PM  
Blogger jpb2525 said...

great story - glad you weren't hurt....BTW, aren't you excited about BB9? I know something about it that I cannot divulge at this time (I will be able to say next week).....I am stoked!

January 19, 2008 12:22 AM  
Blogger cherylann said...

Glad you are okay. I too would have enjoyed my 15 minutes of traffic fame... that's too cool!

Your comment about being overextended made me laugh. I don't know why... perhaps it's because my brain is frozen.

January 19, 2008 7:15 AM  
Blogger John said...

Glad you're okay. I myself just start pumping those brakes like crazy. That gets me out of most accidents, though I don't know if that would have worked this time :(

January 19, 2008 9:27 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

Glad you're ok! and this is what insurance is FOR. Trust me on this...

Oh, and John, you can't pump anti-lock brakes. They do that for you.

January 19, 2008 9:54 AM  
Blogger Cassie said...

just so glad you are ok! No more of that ok!

January 19, 2008 12:01 PM  
Blogger jwer said...

Whoops! Well, to add to the chorus, glad you're OK. And hopefully all you're out is a wheel and a tire. My brother once slid sideways into a curb on Russell Street and completely hosed the suspension (as well as ruining the wheel). Good luck!

January 20, 2008 4:36 PM  
Blogger NPR Junky said...

C, glad it's just your tire and not anything physical to your lovely self!

January 21, 2008 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home