Saturday, January 12, 2008

Waiting and Worrying

Well, Elliott the cat is not well. Have I mentioned that? In the last two months, he has lost a lot of weight - he is 7.5 pounds - and he has been vomiting almost daily. Not good. Elliott and I went to the vet today, and they are going to test his for a number of things, all of which I had on my short list of possible causes for his weight loss.

1. Diabetes - Elliott loves water, and because of this, he has been tested for diabetes many times. It always comes back negative. It's an easy test, but as much as he is a water addict, I don't think this is it.
2. Kitty Cat IBS - I forget the real name, but this is essentially inflamed bowels. Everything seems to be coming out fine, but it's the vomiting and weight loss at the front of the process that is the problem. This is treatable, so this would be a relatively good diagnosis.
3. Hyperthyroidism - This is also treatable with life long medication, and it explains why he is actually more playful and alert than usual. He is not lethargic or lazy at all, in fact, he has been quite an active booger playing with Antonio's toys and watching TV. Hyperthyroidism has a lot of the sick symptoms he has, but it also includes the playfulness he has been exhibiting.
4. Liver Malfunction - This would be the worst, certainly, as it is the slow shutting down of the liver due to significant fat deposits. The cat stops eating, the body starts burning the fat stores in the cat for fuel, and the liver gets overloaded with fat which is cannot properly process. I think this is reversible to some extent, but a diagnosis of liver disease would be the worst on the list.

So they took some blood today, and the vet will call me Monday to review the results. Depending on those results, we may have to go back on Monday for more blood work. He has to fast for 12 hours for that test.

It's a waiting game. My animals are so important to me that I can't imagine not having them. It really doesn't matter what the cost is, I'll do whatever I can do to maintain a good quality of life for them. $135 charged today. I guess we'll see what Monday brings. Cross your fingers for him.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

fingers and toes crossed!

January 12, 2008 3:10 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Sending you happy thoughts.

January 12, 2008 3:26 PM  
Blogger NPR Junky said...

Charissa, if it is hyperthyroidism, yes, medication can treat it, but there actually is a radiopharmaceutical procedure they can do that will destroy the mass on his thyroid. One of my cats had it done, and it was SO MUCH EASIER than having to give her pills every day. There's a place here in DE called Radiocat that will do it (it's a rather expensive procedure) but so worth it. If you'd like the number, let me know.

I'm so sorry, love. I know how much your kids mean to you. If there's anything I can do, please let me know.

January 12, 2008 5:13 PM  
Blogger Summer said...

Ah, sweetie, I hope it's one of those things. The first thing that popped into my mind when I read the symptoms was my kitty Max. :( He had lymphosarcoma. Get Elliot to the vet and find out. Good luck! and hang in there!

January 13, 2008 12:17 PM  
Blogger danielle said...

I've been thinking about you and Elliot and have been keeping my fingers crossed. I hope you hear some good news today.

January 14, 2008 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home