Monday, January 14, 2008

Survey Says...

Hyperthyroidism. That's the verdict on Elliott. After doing some blood work this weekend, our vet has discovered that Elliott's thyroid levels are quite elevated. An adult cat should have levels between 1.2 and 2.0. Elliott's thyroid level is 7.9. Yeah. The vet said that she's seen levels as high as 19, so 7.9 isn't the end of the world, but high is high.

As a first step, she is putting Elliott on Tapazole for three weeks to see if it helps with the vomiting and digestion. I'm not sure if we'll see weight gain in three weeks or not, but I'm not supposed to change his diet much, so he will continue to get canned tuna and canned salmon - lots of protein. (I've even tried sneaking in some canned cat food by mixing it with the salmon. Sneaky.)

The killer is the cost. Brand name Tapazole cost me $62 for 45 tablets. AH! I did some quick research online, and we'll definitely be moving to generic if we decide to keep Elliott on this medication. Right now the dose is 1/2 tablet twice a day... at well over a dollar a tablet, that's pricey. My seizure medication isn't even that expensive.

Anyway... today is day one. Cross your fingers for my kitty that he reacts well to the medication. Oh - and our vet said that the rest of his blood work is "wonderful" - that's the word she used - so I feel a lot better about my job as his mom. He's got hyperthyroidism, but he's otherwise he's very healthy. Thank God.

5 Comments:

Blogger Summer said...

Wonderful!! I'm so glad it's treatable!! Is he taking the pills ok? If you get desperate, pill pockets work wonders! You can get them at Petsmart.

January 14, 2008 9:52 PM  
Blogger NPR Junky said...

C, I'm telling you...kitty chemo is so much easier (and in the long run less expensive) than pills.

I'm glad it's not something worse, though. And, hyperthyroidism is REALLY REALLY common in older cats.

January 15, 2008 11:22 AM  
Anonymous jill said...

You're a wonderful mom to both 'Tonio and Elliot. They are lucky to have you =)

January 15, 2008 1:22 PM  
Blogger julie said...

I'm glad you figured out what it is. You're such a good mom!

January 15, 2008 2:26 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

I'm definitely considering radiocat, NPR... but the doc wants to make sure Elliott reacts well to the change first. After three weeks of drugs and a blood test, she says we can weigh our options. I'm glad you've been through it though - it seems like it would be scary for him so I'll need the support if we go ahead with it.

January 15, 2008 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home