Monday, June 16, 2008

Baltimore Honfest 2008!

A few of us met for Honfest yesterday - definitely a smaller crown than last year, but yesterday was also Father's Day (Happy Father's Day, again, dad!), so not many folks could go. But Angie, Danielle, Alex and I all went, and it was pleasantly warm and not too crowded. There was SO much I wanted (like that "R" bracelet made from typewriter keys - how cute was that???), but I settled on only one necklace. It was $30 - more than I wanted to spend - but once I put it on I knew it was mine. I just love it.

I really enjoyed the stores in Hampden this time around. We revisited Breathe Books, where I found The Dark Side of the Light Chasers by Debbie Ford last year. I love the store and loved browsing, but this year I couldn't find a book that suited was I was searching for. None of the religious or spiritual leanings seem to fit these days, so I walked out of there empty-handed. I really need to go back and dive into those books to see if there's something out there that helps me with what I'm feeling spiritually.

We also hit up one of my favorite Hampden landmarks - Wild Yam Pottery. This year marked two years in which I haven't purchased anything at that store, but my apartment is too small for any more serving dishes. Someday, someday, I can entertain at my home with all of the lovely pottery I own.

Then, of course, there's In Watermelon Sugar... the most delicious smelling place on the Avenue. I admit that I almost never buy anything in this store - nothing is really very practical - but I love it so. It smells delicious, and I suppose I'm always longing for a reason to need to buy one of their travel journals. They're gorgeous!

Lastly, one of my new favorite places is Earth Alley (mom, you'd love this place). They call themselves an "environmentally-conscious & fair-trade boutique" and have weird things like paper made from Elephant poo (profits go to save the elephants) and third-world country made art and jewelry. It's kind of like Ten Thousand Villages, but on a smaller scale. And this is also the place where I found my necklace... so as you can imagine... I'm hooked.

So the day was glorious - not too hot, not cool - and I ate yummy things like french fries and a Royal Farms icee (blue raspberry, of course). It was nice to spend time with my friends, friends I don't get too see as often as I'd like, and it was fun to just relax and enjoy one of Baltimore's coolest events. This was my third year in a row... I wouldn't miss it for the world.

A "typical" Baltimore Hon.

A "modern" Baltimore Hon.

A canine Baltimore Hon.

My Hons.

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ Stone said...

i totally missed HonFest. i have never been -- missed it each of three years. but i didn't miss the Charm City Rollergirls Sat evening!!! it was excellent, and there were a few Hons there.

June 17, 2008 10:50 PM  
Blogger John said...

I totally got sunburned at HonFest :( But at least I got stuffed on fried dough, crawdads and bacon wrapped in chocolate! Mmmmmm

June 18, 2008 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home