Sunday, July 09, 2006

Big Fishing

Hat's off to Rob and Jill... they were right. The first time I saw Big Fish, I wasn't impressed. I really can't remember why, but I do remember that it felt jumbled and disconnected, and that bothered me.

This time around, I loved it. It had a more meaningful message than I realized the first time I watched it because the story isn't presented in a deep way. It's light and comical, so it's easy to merely see the story on the surface, rather than absorbing the full meaning behind it.

Movie Description from Netflix:
William Bloom (Billy Crudup) tries to learn more about his dying father, Edward (Albert Finney), by piecing together the facts out of the various fantastic tales and legends of epic proportions he's been told over the years. Edward was a traveling salesman, and his journeys throughout the South are the seed of the tales. Directed by Tim Burton, the movie co-stars Ewan McGregor (as the young Edward), Helena Bonham-Carter and Steve Buscemi.

It's not that the movie has a complicated message, because it doesn't. The story is about a man making his own way in the world. It's about the experiences he's had and the tales he tells about them. In it's simplest form, the message is that life is what we make it, that we all are the captains (if you will) of our own destiny. It's relatively basic, but you can either allow life to happen to you, or you can participate in the moments and decisions of your life that make it what it will ultimately become. At the end of the day, you are those experiences and those decisions... and you want to be happy with them.

Besides, I love Steve Buscemi and Albert Finney and have a schoolgirl crush on Ewan McGregor, so I how could I be disappointed?!?

Thanks Rob and Jill for encouraging me to watch Big Fish again. Now if they'd only watch the Down With Love DVD that I loaned them.... :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

That was such a great film. I don't mind telling you I bawled like a girl at the end of it. It was very sad and moving.

I'm going to take the time to pimp a subject matter I've been following closely, since it is somewhat related -- an HBO movie called "The Gathering Storm" starring Albert Finney as Winston Churchill. He did one film between "TGS" and "BF", and he's amazing in "TGS." If you haven't seen it, you really should, it's great (and Vanessa Redgrave is in it, too).

July 09, 2006 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home