Saturday, July 29, 2006

Netflix and Fried Green Tomatoes Revisited

It's Saturday night, and I didn't go out tonight either. A group of friends went up to the Crackpot in Towson... but I just wasn't in the mood for drunken college kids - especially in Towson, where we had the 'altercation' on my birthday. I needed a relaxing weekend anyway...

Second time's a charm! No one responded to my plea for a better fried green tomato recipe, so I just tried again tonight. These were much better, as you can see. I served it over vegetable rice (remember that I'm eating the mismatched foods out of my kitchen), which didn't match perfectly, but it was okay.

I'm not sure if my recipe is bland, or if fried green tomatoes are rather plain. Maybe there's a spice or flavor that is usually added that I don't know about? I think I could make this again if someone asked me to, but it hasn't made it onto my list of top meals. The tomatoes were good, don't get me wrong, but it just wasn't something I think I'll ever crave. Although I like my veggies, I'll always be a meat lover.

Just finished watching Frequency. It felt oddly familiar, so I am not sure if I have seen it before or if there is another movie like it. I actually have a sneaking suspicion that I watched this movie with whoever I was dating at the time it came out, and that I was falling in and out of sleep as we watched it. You know, the whole, "I'm not falling asleep, I swear..." bit.

Anyway, it was really good. That last scene was pretty cool... with the hand and all. Four stars, easy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

See? Told ya' FREQUENCY was great.

July 30, 2006 2:26 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Thanks, Geisha, for the recipes... I'll try them soon. I have another tomato, but it's pretty red, so I don't know if that will work well or not. It may fall apart on me.

July 30, 2006 11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandfather always cooked up the green tomatoes I remember as a kid when they lived on this side of the Bay. He actually grew them himself, then he would pick a couple and fry them up. If memory serves, the tartness of the tomatoe with the grease and flour tended to blend nicely. Nothing fancy, but a nice accompaniment to a Sunday breakfast.

July 30, 2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger kris said...

anytime :)

July 31, 2006 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home